Scanning Medium Format Film

alexknudsen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking at buying the Kiev88 medium format camera, but I dont have a darkroom, but I would like to be able to make prints

Does anyone have any experience scanning films? if yes please give me some feedback

any suggestions for scanners???

Non-related, but I wouldn't buy a Kiev if I were you.

Most flatbed scanners provide scanning for 35mm and nothing larger. Epson and Microtech are a couple of brands that have models for larger formats. I scan medium format all the time with an older Epson scanner. It works just fine. Here's an example of a scan of a 120 Fuji Provia transparency made with my flatbed scanner.

orangedoor.jpg

take at loot at plustek for a low cost alternative... there are a couple that will scan up to 5x7 film. If you are just going to do black and white you can make your own backlight and use any flatbed. But you will have to use an outside photo editor to do the reversal probably.

You can get a mamiya 645 used for about the same price as a kiev I think it is probably a better deal.

The cheapest, decent quality options for medium format scanning are probably the Epsons and Microteks. I use a Microtek i900 which is a flatbed with a transparency drawer. It comes with film holders for 35mm and 120 strips, as well as 4x5, and a glass sheet for larger transparencies. It scans more than good enough for web use, and does a good enough job for printing with medium format and larger film. It was about $500 over 5 years ago. It's probably going much cheaper these days, or there are more up to date models.

wow thanks a lot for all of your input

I have never shot with a medium format camera before, but I really would be interested in using the larger negative, and having the waist level viewfinder

any more suggestions for affordable camera prices for medium formats??

and is it really expensive to get medium format film exposed???

thanks for helping the noob!!!

Don't buy the Kiev. I was in your same position not long ago. They're miserable cameras that break often and have poorly available parts even if you can find someone to repair them. I would look at older Mamiyas (645 and RB67 for SLR's, Press for rangefinder) or Bronica SLR's. I got started on a Graflex XL (very similar to Mamiya Press).

wow thanks a lot for all of your input

I have never shot with a medium format camera before, but I really would be interested in using the larger negative, and having the waist level viewfinder

any more suggestions for affordable camera prices for medium formats??

and is it really expensive to get medium format film exposed???

thanks for helping the noob!!!

All used medium format cameras are relatively inexpensive. I bought this one in mint condition on Ebay for less than $300.

645e.jpg

It is the camera that made the image of the orange door in my earlier post.

I think you mean developed rather than exposed. It costs about the same as 35mm film unless you have prints made.

I can recommend the Epson flatbeds, which have holders for different film sizes. For web use or 'normal' sized prints one of the standard Photo series should be fine. I decided to spend the extra on a V700 and the results even from 35mm are great, much better than the Canon I was previously using. I will upload some scanned 120 shots when I finally get around to scanning them.

Remember that with black and white film you can also develop it yourself (it's possible with colour film too but I can't be bothered).

almost 100% of what I will be doing is black and white, will that mean that I can get a cheaper scanner but still have good quality scans? I would like to spend as little money as possible on the scanner if necessary, but I want good quality scans as well...

thanks again for our input!

almost 100% of what I will be doing is black and white, will that mean that I can get a cheaper scanner but still have good quality scans?

Sorry it doesn't work like that :wink: most scanners are designed for colour film, and in fact you will probably have to spend more if you want better quality with black and white film.

As with most of these things you get what you pay for; however the regular Epson 'Photo' range of flatbeds are reasonably affordable and will do a good job.

Most reactions

Back