Scanning medium format with Epson V600

ulrichsd

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, hope I posted this in the correct forum since it is about scanning film.

I recently purchased an Epson V600 and have been trying it out with reversal B&W. I've been testing it out at lower resolution (1200 dpi) to test the settings to see what works best.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding
1) Dust removal vs Digital ICE
2) Using Unsharp masking, grain reduction or backlight correction
3) If scanning B&W do you still output to 48 bit color or 8-bit greyscale?

I feel like I get some scans that seem ok (other than my shoddy darkroom practices leaving scratches on the negatives) and others that seem very pixelated (sample 2 below) a result of sharpness masking or using 8-bit greyscale maybe?)

I'm still learning the differences between all these settings and I still need to read the manual, but if anyone would like to share their favorite settings or settings to avoid it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Scott

gburg012.jpg

gburg007.jpg

Don't sharpen with the scan settings, you can always sharpen later--frankly you shouldn't do anything while scanning that can be done later--you want your original scan to be as unmolested as possible. Also adjust your levels to ensure that you aren't clipping any black/white data, the epson scan software likes to default to a high-contrast setting that clips your blacks and whites. The goal of the scan is to get a good digital negative, not to create your final print.

Dust prevention is best done with a clean environment, an anti-static brush, and blower (hand or compressor, not canned). Whatever sneaks through is easy to cleanup digitally. Avoid any anti-dust options the scanner has, they'll rob you of detail.

I have a 700. I use the Home and pro modes. With 2400 DPI.

+ 1 turn everything off

Thanks everyone for the replies! Turned all extra features off and getting much better results. Clean up any spots in ps elements.

Thanks!!

I have a 700. I use home and pro modes at 2400. I tried 4800 and got way to big a file. I am shooting TriX 400 in a Mamiya 645 1000

Most reactions

Back