Scanning negatives and saving in different resolution

stigbergsgatan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everybody! This is my first post in this forum, and I’d like to start out with a question, I've been looking everywhere for an answer to this, but haven't found anything, hopefully somebody cleverer than me knows this ;). I’ve started to scan my old 35mm negatives at home using an Epson v700 scanner and the accompanying Epson software. I’m scanning in 2400dpi, but I want the files to be saved in a different resolution, in my case 300 dpi. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished?
Very thankful for any answer!

Hello everybody! This is my first post in this forum, and I’d like to start out with a question, I've been looking everywhere for an answer to this, but haven't found anything, hopefully somebody cleverer than me knows this ;). I’ve started to scan my old 35mm negatives at home using an Epson v700 scanner and the accompanying Epson software. I’m scanning in 2400dpi, but I want the files to be saved in a different resolution, in my case 300 dpi. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished?
Very thankful for any answer!

I'm fairly certain that the epson v700 scan software will do this, but I'm not sure if there's a benefit to scanning over the resolution of what you're saving. Are you saying you want to save two versions? or are you just saving the 300dpi version?

What you can do, in photoshop is....

1. Go to image > image size
2. In the Pixel Dimensions section, copy any of the dimension whether it's width or height
3. Change the resolution from 2400 to 300. Note that you will see the image dimension getting smaller as you change the dimension. Don't worry.
4. Paste the original image size dimension back into the box, then hit ok.

what this does is your actual image size in pixel is preserved, but the resolution is changed. The output physical size therefore gets smaller.

...I’m scanning in 2400dpi, but I want the files to be saved in a different resolution, in my case 300 dpi. ...

Make sure you are really clear about what you want. Digital files don't have inches of their own so simply saying "300ppi" is meaningless by itself.

When you set the scanning resolution to 2400ppi the inches in the term refer to the real world inches on the original being scanned. When you save the file any PPI setting references a virtual inch that is also saved in the file. This PPI and Inch setting is there as a convenience for the next application which uses them as the default for printing or placing on some virtual page (in page layout programs).

The best way to accomplish a simple change of the PPI/Inch dimensions is to use an image editor (e.g. Photoshop, ...) to make the changes without actually resampling the image. The easiest way to do this is to launch EPSON Scan through it TWAIN interface from an application like Photoshop.

In PS you go to the File>Import sub-menu and select the EPSON scanner. EPSON Scan will launch as usual, but when you are done the images are left in memory in PS and not on disk as files. You can then simply resize without resampling, as mentioned in an earlier reply, and then save to disk in the desired format.

Why would you want to scale it down that much?

I do it with most scans. Understand, I'm not resampling the image so there is no change in the actual image data. I simply change the PPI value so that the inch size changes.

When you scan a 35mm negative at 3200ppi you get, roughly an image that is tagged as 3200 ppi and 1"x1.5". Its real dimensions are 3200x4800 pixels. If you change the PPI to 300ppi without resampling the resulting file is still 3200x4800 pixels but the head it tagged at 300ppi and 10.66x16 inches. The image itself isn't any different but when printed the print dialog will default to a 10.66x16" print size and not a 1x1.5" size.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back