Scanning Negatives

This is great discussion and I really appreciate the feedback.
A. I am not in a hurry
B. I am willing to have them done or if needed I can purchase a scanner
C. If purchasing a scanner, I will likely have to wait to get the funds as improving my lighting, background stuff and glass will take priority.

Both false. 2400ppi is not the maximum optical resolution of all high end scanners; some reach as high a 6400ppi.
Yeah I didn't say that it was.
I was talking about high end consumer scanners, not high end professional scanners, and I would never assume so much as to claim that it's the maximum optical resolution "of all high end scanners".

Also, the D80 produces the equivalent of slightly less than a 2600ppi scan of a 35mm full frame negative, which is nowhere near 4000ppi.
That was in response to this:
Meh, 3600 is a heck of a lot worse quality than what you produce with your D80
I don't own a D80 so i don't know anything about it.
I assumed for sake of discussion the person who made that claim knew what they were saying.
My point on that was just that if decent flatbeds that DO have max optical of 2400, and the D80 goes above 3600(hence the 4000), then you'd get better quality from photographing the negative than you would by scanning it on a flatbed.
I don't really care if those figures are accurate, I was making a statement based on what was already said.
I wasn't trying to throw out figures to impress anyone.
Just saying that if a scanner only does 2400 native, but the D80 does over 3600, well, you get the idea I hope.

This is great discussion and I really appreciate the feedback.
A. I am not in a hurry
B. I am willing to have them done or if needed I can purchase a scanner
C. If purchasing a scanner, I will likely have to wait to get the funds as improving my lighting, background stuff and glass will take priority.

I just picked up an Epson Perfection 3170 Photo on that auction site for less than $40 shipped. That dollar ammount equals the cost of two rolls of 35mm developed + high res TIFF scans at the local pro lab. It's more than adequate for my purposes (mostly proofing and posting) and the results I have been getting are comperable if not superior. I was saving up for the V500 or V700, but I'm having to mess around with memory management to be able to manipulate the files as it is. I may not have been able to use the higher res that I would have gotten with the newer scanners. With the cash I saved I can afford pro high res scans of the rare negative that I want to print.

Just an update on this. I sent an email to someone I met who does this and he claims he can do UP to 12800 DPI which it sounds like I wont need. If he can still offer .35 Per I think him doing around 100 would be pretty reasonable.

I am taking some slides by....we'll see how it goes. I'll post some stuff in the galleries when I get them back and tweaked.

I appreciate the discussion that has taken place and perhaps the scanner is the better solution but breaking off a hundy or two right now isnt what I need to do because I have so many other more pressing needs like updated software, better glass and more stuff in general.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back