Scanning Negatives

AnrBjotk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have quite a lot of 120 film negatives and a scanner... So instead of spening money I don't have on developing the film I was hoping to use the scanner. An Epson Something-or-other
Two problems:
If I try to scan using the Epson program's "Scan photo negative" The program claim there is no element in the scanner.
If I use the ordinary scanner function, the photos are obviously not in any descent colours, and if using Photoshop invert, the colours are still not any good. After an hour in PS, THIS is the best I could do:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5016/5459178746_d5c41f8d2f_z.jpg

Any tips or straight out guides, would be appreciated :blushing:

Sounds like your scanner does not have the proper accessory to scan negs/slides.
This requires backlighting. Some Epson scanners have this built into the top ... ie Epson PERFECTION 1650 PHOTO SCANNER 1600X3200 48BIT USB SLIDE ADAPTER Product Information - PCWorld

Some scanners have this as an addon.

I don't know the name of the scanner, it's not mine but my schools. But it does have a setting like: "Scan photo negative 1. bw negative 2. colour negative 3. colour positive - Scan with film holder" etc...

Ok, but does it have the backlight to illuminate the image ?

You may have to remove a cover plate to reveal it from the top cover ... or plug it into the back of the scanner.

Ok, but does it have the backlight to illuminate the image ?

You may have to remove a cover plate to reveal it from the top cover ... or plug it into the back of the scanner.

As I understand, it doesn't appear to have any backlighting. Just the ordinary scanner bed and the cover. The cover is too thin to have any light in it, but why then does it have an option for scanning negatives? And worst case scenario, can negatives scanned in the tradional way be "fixed"?

It has that option because the scanner can be fitted with a backlight accessory.
You will need the backlight accessory attached.

Most reactions

Back