Scanning Prints, etc. what do you do?

airgunr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tried scanning a print and then posting it but it turned out pretty bad compared to the original print. Jagged lines, slightly blurry, etc.

What do you folks use to scan your prints, slides, negatives, etc.? I have a Epson Perfection 636 scanner that is about 3 years or so old. I'm not sure what the resolution is. It is one I've used for work to scan documents and things to fax but not really much for pictures. I've only become active in photography seriously in the last few months.

I have a digital camera and the pictures from it load fine but I am more interested in 35mm for my "serious" photography. It is a little dishartening to have a picture you think is good to then load it up for others to critique only to have it turn out so bad on the computer.

Here is the one that turned out so bad on the computer.
Mt. Cook New Zealand & Star Trails
6e3073cb.jpg

Here is a digital of our cat and it seems fine:
Glass of Trixie
DSC00049.jpg

Thanks for any suggestion

I have a cheapo scanner. The lowest res that I can scan at and not get artifacts (especially in the shadows) is 600 dpi. Your equipment might be different.

This is my procedure; most of which is based on advice from Doxx.
scan at 600 dpi
reduce size to 300 dpi
do fix up work: spot for dust, adjust levels and curves, etc...
unsharp mask: sharpen 100% 1pixel radius
reduce size to 150 dpi
unsharp mask: sharpen 50% 1pixel radius
reduce size to 72 dpi
adjust longest side to 500 pixels
unsharp mask: sharpen 25% .5 pixel radius
save for web

You just have to accept that a 72 dpi image is not going to pack the punch an 8x10 from 35mm. But the good thing is that we are all in the same boat, so folks can usually imagine the difference between what is posted and looking at the print in person.

Thank you for your response. Sounds like I have a "Cheapo" too..... :(

If I look to replace it (or just relagate it to the office) what kind of features should I look for? Do they make ones that will scan negatives as well as prints? Is it better to scan negatives or work with the prints? What about slide film and scanning? I also have an APS camera that it would be nice to be able to scan those negatives. Is there a particular brand that is better for this type of work?

I guess I should actually be asking if there is a FAQ on this topic.

Thank you for your response. Sounds like I have a "Cheapo" too..... :(

If I look to replace it (or just relagate it to the office) what kind of features should I look for? Do they make ones that will scan negatives as well as prints? Is it better to scan negatives or work with the prints? What about slide film and scanning? I also have an APS camera that it would be nice to be able to scan those negatives. Is there a particular brand that is better for this type of work?

I guess I should actually be asking if there is a FAQ on this topic.

i don't scan films. but my sister does, though i never seen her scanner. she uses one that scan negatives and negatives only. some cheapo scanner i think provides some modules that you can scan negatives as well, but i think it doesn't work as well as a pure negative scanner.

but then again, negative scanner costs more.

The best choice is to use an actual negative/slide scanner and scan the film. It's hard to have the film stay flat on a flatbed, and prints don't have nearly the dynamic range or resolution of the original material.

Most reactions

Back