Schneider Angulon 90mm f6.8 Synchro-Compur: CLA

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just ran across this 4x5 wide angle that I completely forgot I even owned. Does anyone have a contact for giving it a good CLA without taking me to the bank. The glass is very clean and the high end of the shutter mech sounds good, But the low end is very sticky and sluggish. I had this so long, I don't even remember buying it.

Thanks

Compur shutters aren't the hardest thing to clean out (normally they need no adjustment, just a clean and lube), so I imagine there has to be someone out there working on them. I know he specializes in Hasselblad, but most of those lenses have Compur shutters (or no shutter at all), so maybe try David Odess? That might not be much help, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks for that. After a little checking, I found it would cost $80-$100 at a shop specializing in LF . After checking eBay prices for the lens, it would probably be worth it, but I have a minty Komura Super W 90mm, I'd use instead any way. The last time I had a lens CLA'ed it was about $40

spray some carb/choke cleaner in there, let it sit a minute, then blow it out with canned air.
if you send me the lens, ill do it for $20. well under your budget.

Ummm... ahhh...well...I usually don't take my gear to Pep Boys for a tune up. Let me think it over.

Rick, :lol:, that might be a good idea. This s...d is made to remove a lot of buildup. I have an old Tessar in Compur, which is stuck. Let me try. :angel:

Rick, :lol:, that might be a good idea. This s...d is made to remove a lot of buildup. I have an old Tessar in Compur, which is stuck. Let me try. :angel:
$pboys.jpg
Do you have their number or should I Google it? :biglaugh:

High pressure blast plus tiny springs and delicate adjustments. Nothing could POSSIBLY go wrong with that.. :lol:

High pressure blast plus tiny springs and delicate adjustments. Nothing could POSSIBLY go wrong with that.. :lol:
Someone said high pressure blast ? Nooo... Just a little from the syringe I will try. Stuff made to dissolve baked lubricants and whatever else should be effective. I HOPE. If not, no problem.

OK Rick. I don't know if pixmedic was just making fun of us or what, cause looks like his "method" wont work. As he was describing it. Compressed air will not help to remove the fluid from the shutter. However used by me"fuel injector & carburator cleaner" from STP, you know, this stuff you add to the fuel tank, nothing compressed etc, applied with syringe, worked superbly. My stuck compur was free in 30 sec. and after 2 min even 1 sec time seems to be on the spot. Yes, this stuff penetrates and penetrates well to every corner of the whole assembly. I used about 1.5 ml and I think about half too much and now my shutter blades are wet and compressed air is not helping, there is nowhere to blast the moisture away. So, I ended up disassembling the lens, luckily is just a Tessar. The back elements were very easy to move, with the front trick with the fluid did a good job dissolving old lube. So now with everything open I just wait until something evaporates. As the stuff I used is mostly an alcohol it shouldn't be long.

I didn't realize what you meant. I thought you were kidding around. My bad.

I've revived Compur shutters with lighter fluid too. The big thing, no matter what you use (brake cleaner, lighter fluid, baby vomit), made REALLY sure it gets dry. It should evaporate on its own. Then you're free to add your lubricant of choice, though me sure to do it sparingly...

Hey thanks guys. And here I thought Jason was only joking around. Hey Jason....:hail:
It sounds like a fun little project. I'm pretty sure I'd never spend $100 to get it CLA'ed. Maybe if it were a better lens.

Seriously, i was joking. I really did clean my vhs camcorder with carb/choke cleaner many years ago and it did not end well. Thankfully my friend was able to disassemble it enough to clean it properly.

Please do NOT clean your camera equipment with carb/choke cleaner.

Seriously, i was joking. I really did clean my vhs camcorder with carb/choke cleaner many years ago and it did not end well. Thankfully my friend was able to disassemble it enough to clean it properly.

Too late...Timor provided the sacrificial lens, and it worked. Lucky for you or you'd be in deep do-do buddy :lol:

Too late...Timor provided the sacrificial lens, and it worked. Lucky for you or you'd be in deep do-do buddy :lol:
STOP guys. Rick wait, it's not the end. Speeds are working fine, but now B and T is sticky, opens but doesn't close. This carb cleaner has too much own lubricants or maybe rather organic solvents which will not evaporate, so the next phase is to apply pure alcohol and let see.

Most reactions

Back