school low light photography

bemmermazda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok, so i have an idea for a shot. I will take a shot of a row of students. The first student working will be in focus the others will not. So my problem is that i will be shooting in a classroom. It will be really low light and with minimal sunlight. Im going to be using 100 speed film. I do not mind using a tripod but the students will most likely move. I have no idea what settings i will shoot on. Im using a n65.

ok, so i have an idea for a shot. I will take a shot of a row of students. The first student working will be in focus the others will not. So my problem is that i will be shooting in a classroom. It will be really low light and with minimal sunlight. Im going to be using 100 speed film. I do not mind using a tripod but the students will most likely move. I have no idea what settings i will shoot on. Im using a n65.

If your concept involves a shallow depth of field, then you'll be working with an open aperture - meaning, lots of light. That will allow you to get a decent shutter speed. However, if it's really dark, 1/15 and 1/30 are workable, assuming your subjects(or just main subject) are still. Besides, most of them will be out of focus anyway, so their movement will be negligible.
Try placing them next to the windows, and using flash bounced of the ceiling/walls/whatever to help your shutter a bit.

Other than that - why will you be using 100 ASA?

This was the film i was assigned to take "people"
I do not have a external flash either.

Use your widest aperture, or one stop down for clarity, and a tripod. If you have a normal lens, it shouldn't be a problem @ f2 or so. Using black and white, right? I'd also suggest focusing on the second or third student in the row, not the first. That way it would be BLURRY, blurry, SHARP, blurry, BLURRY, BLURRIEST!...etc..etc.. Also, have the student in focus look at you, and then all of the other students not look at you.

Don't worry so much about movement, I mean really, how fast will sitting students move? And how dark will it be really?

Also, if you are shooting black and white, the lights source you use is practically irrelevant! YAY!

You could use a ten dollar worklight, flashlight, candlelight, kerosene lantern....etc..etc.. All that really matters is light placement.

You could even just have someone turn the classroom projector on the subject a bit while you take the pic!:greenpbl:

Use your widest aperture, or one stop down for clarity, and a tripod. If you have a normal lens, it shouldn't be a problem @ f2 or so. Using black and white, right? I'd also suggest focusing on the second or third student in the row, not the first. That way it would be BLURRY, blurry, SHARP, blurry, BLURRY, BLURRIEST!...etc..etc.. Also, have the student in focus look at you, and then all of the other students not look at you.

Don't worry so much about movement, I mean really, how fast will sitting students move? And how dark will it be really?

Also, if you are shooting black and white, the lights source you use is practically irrelevant! YAY!

You could use a ten dollar worklight, flashlight, candlelight, kerosene lantern....etc..etc.. All that really matters is light placement.

You could even just have someone turn the classroom projector on the subject a bit while you take the pic!:greenpbl:

Thank you, that really helps.

Most reactions

Back