school photo's and packages

thanks KmH.. I will work on that.

Tireiron.. no thoughts really
To elaborate: While I don't mean to seem rude, if you're 'experimenting' with ISO settings, that indicates to me that you're not totally familiar with your camera, equipment, and technique. Fair enough, we all started somewhere, but that also makes me think that taking on a commission such as shooting a cheerleading squad might be a bit beyond your ability right now. Granted, you could do it all against a concrete wall with your pop-up flash, but you're not likely to enhance your reputation by doing that.

You could also do it with one or two off-camera speedlights as astroNikon indicated; the SU-800 allows a LOT of flexibility, but there's a reason why almost every major volume photographer comes in with either a Broncolor, Speedotron, or Dyna-lite set-up; you need reliable light with fast recycle times, and a system that can do that all day long. Speedlights were NOT built to do that. Why not talk to some local pros who may be more skilled in the areas of volume shooting and lighting and working with them on this? It would be a fantastic learning opportunity, and you could still keep your name on the job.

I never really got the basics of flash lightening until I bought two flashes and my SU800 controller.

well I actually didn't mean to shoot an entire cheerleading squad with 2 flashes. I meant that I started learning the basics when I went to 2 off camera flashes with the SU800. If I was doing a "team" photo like that outside I'd need more power. Or just shoot them with the available natural lighting (depending if it is during a game or posed shots), which I learned alot yesterday shooting my kids soccer. Those darn Clouds coming and going like a long choo-choo train covering the sun .. ISO 100 .. ISO 400 ... back and forth .. accidentally hitting the WB .. wth ?? nice lesson learnt.

...well I actually didn't mean to shoot an entire cheerleading squad with 2 flashes. I meant that I started learning the basics when I went to 2 off camera flashes with the SU800. If I was doing a "team" photo like that outside I'd need more power. Or just shoot them with the available natural lighting (depending if it is during a game or posed shots), which I learned alot yesterday shooting my kids soccer. Those darn Clouds coming and going like a long choo-choo train covering the sun .. ISO 100 .. ISO 400 ... back and forth .. accidentally hitting the WB .. wth ?? nice lesson learnt.
Understood; I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, just echoing your sentiment that the SU 800 was a useful tool, and adding that you could do the job that way, but I wouldn't recommend it!

Ironically, I always watch "the paid pros" when they take pictures of the kids teams around here (since my kids are in sports I'm kinda always there anyways).

Last Spring they did it inside with those heavy duty electrical powered flash lights. But the previous spring they did them outside - the team shots without any additional light except ambient. and individual shots with 1 speedlight/battery packs & umbrella flash.

Now I'm curious if it was the same company or not.

Last Spring they did it inside with those heavy duty electrical powered flash lights. But the previous spring they did them outside - the team shots without any additional light except ambient. and individual shots with 1 speedlight/battery packs & umbrella flash.

Now I'm curious if it was the same company or not.

Every condition requires different lighting. Maybe the ambient light was at the sweet spot that didn't require flash? That's where having a working knowledge of lighting comes into play.

To the OP: if you need a quick visual resource for off camera lighting, check out Adorama TV on YouTube for tutorials by Mark Wallace. Also, if you're not sweating this, you should. School pictures are not the time to suddenly learn. Parents can be wicked if their precious Johnny ends up looking like a walking zombie.

Every condition requires different lighting. Maybe the ambient light was at the sweet spot that didn't require flash? That's where having a working knowledge of lighting comes into play.

It was scheduled about a month in advance. The morning started out overcast with sprinkles, as the day wore on it broke up and was bright sunshine. So a camera, and a bunch of kids and luckily someone that knew what they were doing with the camera.

Threads like this crack me up! They want all of our knowledge, but never offer to share the paycheck! lol!

Threads like this crack me up! They want all of our knowledge, but never offer to share the paycheck! lol!

Yes, you are spewing out your knowledge which is translated to "information" for us
For us more newbies the "information" is not knowledge/ experience.

I can regurgitate parts of the Strobist website, but until I play around and actually figure it out ( at a certain lower level than what is actually discussed which is at a low level anyways) it doesn't mean diddly. As one gains experience one starts understanding the concepts that are known, but much more deeply and intensely, over and over again. It's like anything .. I know how to play soccer, but I'm no Beckham.

Yes, you are spewing out your knowledge which is translated to "information" for us
For us more newbies the "information" is not knowledge/ experience.

I can regurgitate parts of the Strobist website, but until I play around and actually figure it out ( at a certain lower level than what is actually discussed which is at a low level anyways) it doesn't mean diddly. As one gains experience one starts understanding the concepts that are known, but much more deeply and intensely, over and over again. It's like anything .. I know how to play soccer, but I'm no Beckham.

I have a policy I usually follow... NON-Pros, I will teach, help, assist, etc... any way I can! Those who are charging... are automatically PRO's! Why would a PRO need me to teach them what is basically beginner stuff?

Oh wait... they have only owned a camera for 6 days? But are charging? So they are 6 day PRO's (and yes, this really happens!) .... and I still won't help them! ;)

Most reactions

Back