School Pictures

darin3200

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
friedrichsphotography.com
Our school is doing school photos today. If cameras are metaphorically guns, then this is a metaphorical slaugherhouse. We get lined up. One by one we go in front of the camera, told to get on our knees, the try to snap the picture in under 10 seconds and then we are told to leave.

I also find it interesting how many people spend the entire day until their pictures dressed up in some outfit, uncapable of doing anything because it might mess up their hair, and constantly checking on their makeup, all in an attempt to fool the camera and have it display a picture of them as more beautiful than they actually are. After the pictures makeup and hair don't matter and people are back to normal.

Any thoughts?

Mass production is cheaper?

Many folks actually spring for a personal photo session for their senior pics.

The company I work for does this all day long. Undergrad school pictures. Line em up, shoot em, get out. It's like an assembly line. All digital photography, barcode scanning and ordering of packages. It's pretty scary actually, but it's always been that way with school photography.

The sad fact (sad for someone trying to make their living from portrait photography) is that most people are not willing to pay much for good photos of themselves and their family. They want to spend $30, and have that include the portrait session and some wallets and a few 8x10s.

It's not just for pictures that people do the primping thing. I have a sister that spends two hours getting dressed every morning.........even if her agenda for the day is to scrub toilets.

We are a vain society, and when our image is about to be recorded for posterity, none of us want warts and all. It's like people wanting you to edit out birthmarks, spaces between their teeth, love handles, moles and scars. The picture mentality is much like the plastic surgery mentality.

That's why I like photographing children and animals.

Count yourself lucky.... for our university card photos they used a webcam... yes, a webcam... you can just imagine how stunning we all look!

Becky said:
Count yourself lucky.... for our university card photos they used a webcam... yes, a webcam... you can just imagine how stunning we all look!

A part time job for you there becky .... maybe shoot a few of friends to get the ball rolling and make a few quid into the bargin

Most reactions

Back