School to work?

nrois02

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey everyone. I am currently going to school to become a photographer but lately i have had some issues with this. I am worried about the job aspect of it. Does anyone know what its like to get out of school and get a job in this? and so with this ive been thinking about doing engineering. does anyone have any experience in this? any help would be great thanks!

_Austin

haha thanks for the input, but im not going to be double majoring that would kill me i think. Im trying to decide if i should put the time in for photography and if it would pay off. thats what im trying to ask people if i could easily get a job in the field and if it would pay well, or if i should just leave it at a hobby and go to engineering. and if anyone on here knows anything about engineering and would like to tell me a little bit about it i would really appreciate it! thanks again!

The successful engineers that I have run into have been quite gifted intellectually with very perceptive people skills. Basically I would say that unless you have an IQ in the 130+ range and have good social skills, to consider that success in engineering may be too great a challenge.

Photography requires creativity, business and people skills. Beginners tend to think in the limited terms of opening your own business/studio and starting with weddings, seniors and kid shots for example. They tend to forget the areas of photo-journalism, public relations, advertising, television production, media departments in corporations, training, and presentations. If you get a photography related job with an organization, contacts tend to lead to free-lance work on the side. Presentations often have the positive side effect of promoting your media and photographic skills. A friend went from photographer, to head of an internal newspaper within Imperial Oil, to executive trouble-shooter. I am sure that he ended up earning much more than an engineer.

skieur

Most reactions

Back