Scraped my new 6D and need suggestions

Juga

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was mounting my new 6D on a monopod and athlan screw scraped the bottom of my body enough to expose bare metal. My concern is that moisture might cause rust. Am I being over protective or should I try some rustoleum paint?

Thanks for the encouraging words John.

According to what I've read elsewhere, only the top plate of the 6D is plastic. The rest of the body is titanium. Not to worry...it won't rust.

According to what I've read elsewhere, only the top plate of the 6D is plastic. The rest of the body is titanium. Not to worry...it won't rust.

The top is polycarbonate because of the wifi and gps receiver but the rest is actually aluminium alloy. From what I read it is highly resistant to corrosion. I think I might just get some model paint from a hobby shop or something...I think I am just pissed because I just got the camera a few days ago.

It won't rust, I've got quite a few shiny bald spots on the alloy parts of my camera and they just stay shiny, no corrosion at all.

Last edited:
I scraped the top of my black notebook down to the metal of the lcd screen, i masked off the area, i bough some 2 part epoxy when mixed it is white, so i mixed in a small bit of black pen ink, and filled the hole with it, and scraped it level, make sure you dont have any bubbles and it worked great.

John.

Even if it did rust, which it shouldn't, it wouldn't matter because unless you scratched a hole into the inside of the camera, there is nowhere for that rust to go that would cause problems.

yea..its toast. sorry.
please send it to me for proper recycling and purchase a new one.

I scraped the top of my black notebook down to the metal of the lcd screen, i masked off the area, i bough some 2 part epoxy when mixed it is white, so i mixed in a small bit of black pen ink, and filled the hole with it, and scraped it level, make sure you dont have any bubbles and it worked great.

John.

Thanks, no hole though but I will keep that in mind.

Even if it did rust, which it shouldn't, it wouldn't matter because unless you scratched a hole into the inside of the camera, there is nowhere for that rust to go that would cause problems.

Yeah but I don't want to bring this to my shoots...I don't think my clients would appreciate it. :lol:

$ht_drowned_camera_thg_111129_wblog.jpg

I don't think my clients would appreciate it.
o_O I sure as hell would appreciate it. That camera screams "This guy isn't ****ing around" and/or "This guy is good enough to risk trashing an entire camera body just to get the shot" and/or "This guy might beat me up if I don't do a good job of modeling"

Canon customer service is very responsive. Why don't you write them to see if you can buy a replacement bottom piece?

If it rusts... it means you're not using it enough! ;)

Most reactions

Back