Screen calibration comparison

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok someones chat of calibrations reminded me that I hadn't calibrated this "new" (ancient bit of rubbish found dusty in a corner at home) monitor so I just did - and got hit with the OMG was it that out of sync shock. I don't think my eyes have adjusted to the "new look" either.

So here are two shots - one before and one after the calibration and I would be very eager to hear which shot looks the "better". A tricky term I know because better is debatable and the only real way to know what "I" wanted is to be sitting right next to me - but in theory it should be the second shot.

Before:
4978894089_8059ea1e39_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4146/4978894089_8059ea1e39_b.jpg

After:
5076651962_7ee057b4ee_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/5076651962_7ee057b4ee_b.jpg

urgh and now the before is looking better and the after looking worse to me - gah I hate screen calibrating ;)
Also is it me or does the second one start to have banding and problems in the background blur?

#1 looks more true to life to me. The second one is a little on the warm side to me it seems. It's a great shot though, either way.

Slightly higher gamma on the second shot...not by a whole lot, but noticeable. A little bit darker dark tones on the second shot.

I'm sort of starting to agree that maybe I went a little too far with the second version - the first just seemed (after the editing) to lose the colour and contrast "punch" effect that I thought it had more strongly. Maybe something half way between the two.
Most of what I did was to darken the highlights and a slight s curve - maybe just the s curve was what I needed.

I think I might have to break down and get lightroom oneday so I can show side by side before and afters - its just not the same turning layers on and off as it is to see them side by side.

As a bonus though the calibration has totally destroyed the screen glare I didn't know I was getting - far more relaxing on the eyes now!

heh i was doing some editing on my pc before I went to the digital lab at my school (with calibrated monitors) and what a difference! My highlights were blown out on the schools computers but looked fine on my computer... Man I need a good monitor and calibration -.-

Most reactions

New Topics

Back