Screen Calibration

thedogsdanglers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, my new site is comming along nicely, just trying to teach myself a bit of customisation and styling as I go.
The problem I have is I haven't got a screen calibration device and currently can't afford one, they seem quite expensive. I'm reluctant to actually start selling prints until I can be certain of the outcome.
I've got colour profiles available from the lab I'll be using, but I need to know my screen is calibrated correctly.
Do I NEED a calibrator, or is there a way of manually doing it that gets close enough until I have the funds?
Also, how much of a risk is it, to send pics to the print lab without calibrating? Often the mainstream highstreet labs get it right. without such calibration.
Regards
Carl

The problem I have is I haven't got a screen calibration device and currently can't afford one, they seem quite expensive.

They really are not that expensive.

Do I NEED a calibrator

YES you do need one.

Again they are not very expensive, they start at about $80-$90

http://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-Spy...52595&sr=8-3&keywords=spider+color+calibrator

http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNSM...TF8&qid=1404052567&sr=8-3&keywords=colormunki

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Without a screen calibrator the only way is trial and error - ergo have prints printed off until they look right. Whilst you can get close like that there are a few problems:

1) Its relying totally upon your eyes alone, ambient lighting could significantly affect how you perceive the screen so it might take longer than you think to get corrections just right.

2) Screens drift their calibration over time, with a calibrator you can recalibrate every few weeks, but if you're doing it by eye you simply won't notice (our eyes/brain adapt).

Last edited:
...and the question is whether it is a good idea to invest in an entry level product or not?

Indeed, that's why I use the Spyder4Pro.

Spyder4Express is fine for working on web development, but when you need to print it's necessary to have an ambient light compensation. Otherwise the contrast and brightness of your screen won't be corrected. Spyder4Pro has got an ambient light sensor and is the cheapest "pro" colorimeter:
Amazon.com : Datacolor Spyder4Pro S4P100 Colorimeter for Display Calibration : Photographic Light Meters : Camera & Photo

Most reactions

Back