nicolasnico

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi everyone,
Last year, I've printed calendars with pictures I've taken in Kyrgyzstan where I live now. I'm not fully sure, but I think it's offetset printing? (I worked through a company).

There's a difference between what I can see on my pictures on the screen and how they appear on the calendar. (They are darker as a printed version. It's less bright and I find them it a bit "sad", not as "cheerful" as they are on the screen). Any advice what I should consider to have a better control on the printed results?

thanks for any advice on this!
Nicolas

Soft proof.
https://luminous-landscape.com/understanding-soft-proofing/
Soft Proofing: Matching On-Screen Photos with Prints

A computer display is back lit. A print is fore lit.
Even then if you want to look at a print to see how close it looks to a computer display the print needs to be looked at using a specially set up set of lighting for doing so.

So a print will always look different than an electronic display.

The additive RGB color model is used to electronically display digital images.
The subtractive CMYK color model is used to make prints.

The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing
Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)[URL="http://"][/url]

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The only way to get WYSIWYG is to calibrate your monitor and the printer you are using. Since you used a company you can't calibrate the printer, but you can and need to calibrate your monitor. The human eye and brain can be very deceptive compared to monitors, printers etc. You need to hardware calibrate your monitor with something like this: ColorMunki Photo - Camera, Monitor, Projector, Printer Calibration: Photo&Video

You can get other calibration hardware that is cheaper. I use the colormunki photo as I do my own prints so I calibrate to the printer with my own color profiles for each individual paper I use.

Here are other cheaper options from Colormunki: ColorMunki Solutions
Here are options from Datacolor: Products

thanks for the answers! Actually, I find it interesting that another guy has printed postcard, and it seems to me his postcards are (all) brighter than my pictures? So, I'm not sure what I could do differently at the postprocessing level to already work on that...
(It's late at night here, so I'll have a look at the answers tomorrow. Thanks for your help!)

thanks for the answers! Actually, I find it interesting that another guy has printed postcard, and it seems to me his postcards are (all) brighter than my pictures? So, I'm not sure what I could do differently at the postprocessing level to already work on that...
(It's late at night here, so I'll have a look at the answers tomorrow. Thanks for your help!)
Is your display set to the brightest setting? I tend to keep my display at a fairly low brightness level. I also recommend calibrating your display like gryphon suggested. I use a datacolor Spider Pro and have had accurate results.

What ambient lighting are you using to view your prints?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back