Scuba diving- GoPro Hero3 Black

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I just ordered a gopro hero 3 black edition from their website. I was able to get it for $240 since I work for Dick's Sporting Goods. However, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good setup. I'm looking for something that I can mount it to while diving. Possibly a small hand held rig. I'm also interested in one light setup for videos and stuff like that! Any ideas and links will be helpful! I saw a few setups but I'm looking to keep it down on the costs. around 150 max.

Edit: I'm thinking I'm going to have to do some DIY stuff for the rig, and possibly just buy a scuba light and mount it onto it....

Last edited:
OP
412 Burgh

412 Burgh

Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Photos OK to edit
I will be diving in the beginning of march down in Florida at the Weeki Wachee springs! Just a fun side note

pharmakon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I will be diving in the beginning of march down in Florida at the Weeki Wachee springs! Just a fun side note
Beautiful river. I practically grew up on it. Are you diving Hospital hole, or are they actually letting people into the main springs now? I never actually dove hospital hole but it was always a very popular place.

Canuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I have used the a GoPro for the past 3 years, they are rated to 200'. I have mine mounted upside down on the bottom of my Ikelite Case for my G12.
I have seen a few people that have used a cheap mono-pod to mount them too, it works fairly well and allows you to reach and film in places you cant get into. There is a tripod mount you can get from GoPro that has the standard 1/4' thread making mounting easy.Adding a dive light would definately help w/ color corrections.
Make sure you use silicone grease, only a very little bit, on the o-rings around the back door. It is also very important to remove and clean the o-ring each time you open the door. One grain of sand or a stray hair can cause a leak. If you get into the habit of checking the seals at surface in a pail of fresh water, any leaks should be apparent before you start the dive.

Last edited:
OP
412 Burgh

412 Burgh

Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Photos OK to edit
I have used the a GoPro for the past 3 years, they are rated to 200'. I have mine mounted upside down on the bottom of my Ikelite Case for my G12.
I have seen a few people that have used a cheap mono-pod to mount them too, it works fairly well and allows you to reach and film in places you cant get into. There is a tripod mount you can get from GoPro that has the standard 1/4' thread making mounting easy.Adding a dive light would definately help w/ color corrections.
Make sure you use silicone grease, only a very little bit, on the o-rings around the back door. It is also very important to remove and clean the o-ring each time you open the door. One grain of sand or a stray hair can cause a leak. If you get into the habit of checking the seals at surface in a pail of fresh water, any leaks should be apparent before you start the dive.

I'm assuming I can get silicone grease from the local hardware store?

Canuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I would buy it from a dive shop. It costs between $5-10. A tiny tube or container ( think lip balm size) will do for years. You only need to use a very small amount each time.

OP
412 Burgh

412 Burgh

Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Photos OK to edit
I would buy it from a dive shop. It costs between $5-10. A tiny tube or container ( think lip balm size) will do for years. You only need to use a very small amount each time.

Cool I'm renting a BCD and Reg so I'll pick up some of that when I can! Thank you. Hoping my video comes out nice. I heard it has 60-200 vis on a good day.

OP
412 Burgh

412 Burgh

Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Photos OK to edit
So upset I just got a call saying Weeki Wachee is closed the weekend and they won't be diving it. However, I'll be doing a river drift dive in the Rainbow River.

OP
412 Burgh

412 Burgh

Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Photos OK to edit
Upon receiving the GoPro Black, 2 days before my dive it needs to be sent back for a temperature failure. It powers up for a solid 4 seconds and shuts off. I cannot even update it to the latest firmware. Tech support wasn't able to fix it through their updates either. Has to be sent in and I can't record my dive this weekend.

It's not the end of the world but I specifically ordered it for this dive and it sucks because I cannot return it to anyone else but GoPro.

Most reactions

New Topics