SD Card Question

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

A couple of years ago I heard that deleting an individual picture from an SD card could corrupt the card. This is while it is in the camera of course. Has anyone found that to be true? Tonight I tried to download 21 pictures from an SD card. My computer could not recognize the card. I put the card back into the camera and copied the pics to SD card #2. Then I was able to effectively download the pictures to the computer. Formatted both SD cards and now they seem to be working just fine.

I am using Sans Disk 8 GB class 4 cards. I usually take 80 to 150 pictures at a time.

Thank you,

Lonnie

I've heard the opposite.... deleting it with a computer can cause issues.

I've never had an issue during all the years I've used them. If I get a bad photo I'll go ahead and delete it right away in camera. After I've transferred the photos to my computer I put the card back in my camera and reformat it to clear all the photos off of it.

Hi Folks,

A couple of years ago I heard that deleting an individual picture from an SD card could corrupt the card. This is while it is in the camera of course. Has anyone found that to be true? Tonight I tried to download 21 pictures from an SD card. My computer could not recognize the card. I put the card back into the camera and copied the pics to SD card #2. Then I was able to effectively download the pictures to the computer. Formatted both SD cards and now they seem to be working just fine.

I am using Sans Disk 8 GB class 4 cards. I usually take 80 to 150 pictures at a time.
Thank you,
Lonnie

Lonnie, I've never heard that but neither have I heard the opposite.
I've had very few issues with cards but I have had them. In two cases with only one card slot I've lost all photos and couldn't recover them, the cards were history!
My advice is that you call Sandisk tech and ask them what they recommend and then call Canon tech and ask them what they recommend. Then use what seems would work best for you from both pieces of advise.
My last 4 cameras have had duel card slots but of course I've not had a problem since...., of course!!! LoL
SS

Can't say I've heard of or experienced that particular issue. I'm regularly deleting single shots in camera and never suffered a corrupt card both SD or CF.

I have not found that to be true deleting images in camera of corrupting a card/images.. That said,I no longer delete anything from the card.I upload all the images first on the computer then put the card back in camera and format the card. One of my SD Extreme Pro cards I had since 2013 and still works great.

Last edited:
I never delete images off the card, when in camera. It can cause issues such as you described. The camera is built to record, not manage files. It can mess the card up as the camera has no file allocation tools. Simply move the files to your computer, safely unmount (eject) card, format in camera. On paid shoots, I save the card for redundancy and buy more, they're cheap. I use SanDisk extreme pro cards.

I dont delete in camera
I copy to external hard drive first and pc then delete the images on the card
Every now and then app 3 months I format the card in camera just to be sure that it’s clear and formatted to the cameras specific requirements

Typ. speaking ill backup the card about once a month if in continuous use.
Then format the thing.

I have no issues deleting from computer or camera. But formatting I would always do in camera. This is where some have had issues.

I delete photos as I go, live in camera, when I know the shot is bad. After photos have been transferred I just run a card format on the camera.

I never had a problem with SD cards except that when I have two cards in Nikon (other card is backup/mirroring) and I am deleting photo in camera, I have to delete separately the photo from other card as well ... I hate it ..

In my experience, SD cards are notoriously "fussy" about being "compatible" with any specific brand/model of device (e.g. camera, GoPro, etc). Regardless of SD card brand, behavior can be sporadic. I don't just assume a given SD brand will work in any context: get the camera mfgr's suggested compatible specific card. Then, if you have issues, there's at least a known starting point for lodging complaints.

I dont delete in camera
I copy to external hard drive first and pc then delete the images on the card
Every now and then app 3 months I format the card in camera just to be sure that it’s clear and formatted to the cameras specific requirements

I am used to apply multi-tiering sorting process, here it is (trivia: I have **work USB disk**, **backup USB disk** and **home NAS**)

#1 - I usually delete in camera during the photo session and also at the end of the day ...

#2 - After session I usually copy from camera RAWs and JPGs from that day only to my laptop to folder named by 'yyyy-mm-dd - session name' and do postprocessing there .. after postprocess is done, I delete all raws and jpgs that I didn't use and leave there only pictures exported during postprocess and project files (raw profiles and gimp/PS projects) .. these folders are backed up on my **work USB disk** and later onto home NAS, original content is still on SD card

#3 - time by time (I tried to do it monthly but I failed doing so), based on how my cards are full (I use 128GB cards) I export all files from cards (jpgs+raws) to **backup USB disk** with Nikon application (where I usually don't look because I've took interesting photos in #2) and I format (both - I have two slot camera) SD cards in camera ...

sometimes when I need photos which didn't make it in phase #2 I look onto **backup USB disk** and transfer them via laptop and **working USB disk** to final destination which is the most valued tier at home NAS

The “safest” method of image transfer is to tether the camera to the computer and transfer images using the camera manufacturer’s transfer app. I was unaware of this until I had a Lexar card corrupted in a Lexar card reader. When I put the card back in the camera, all images had extreme blue noise and lines and were unrecoverable. It cost me a commercial client. Since then, I use large capacity cards and only remove from camera if absolutely necessary. I only transfer images while the camera is tethered using Nikon Transfer. I have done this for 15 years with 100% success and no lost images. Another benefit is you eliminate the tendency for damaging pins in the camera. Ask me how I know this?

Never had any issues with that.
Always just CTRL+X the folder on SD card, and then in a windows folder on computer CTRL+V.
But i never delete like individual on the card, and rarely in the camera.
I mostly just open them up in lightroom and review all at once.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back