SD Card

Chann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I own a Canon 60d and would like to know what SD cards you guys find can best keep up with video recording. I have a 8Gb PNY Professional Class 10 20mb/s card for mainly photo shooting. When I record 1920x1080 @ 30fps or 1280x720 @ 60fps the camera stops recording. I would think that this card could manage these videos. Maybe it is the sensor temp that is tripping it up.

Chann

Or the camera's write buffer.

Most DSLR's only require class 6 cards for video.

It stops recording after how long? There is a limit on file size to 4G and then it stops recording.

It stops after a few seconds. It has a write buffer meter and it does not even display before stopping. If I drop to 1024x720 30fps it records fine. I may need to try a new card.

Keith is the better person on this one by far, but it seems to me that if the card was the problem the buffer would show full.
Hope he or one of the other guys can help you more! I've never even used the video feature on my cameras, so I'm pretty limited!

Format your card. I had the same problem with my class 10 card on my T3i.

-Ken Turner

Thanks for the tip Ken. I will give it a try. Should a card be formatted regularly? I have shot for years on a card with only performing an initial formatting.

It is recommended that the card be re-formatted after the files from each days shooting have been uploaded to storage, after the integrity of the image file upload has been verified and appropriate backup files of the image files have been made.

The card should be re-formatted in the device it will be used in, before it is used again.

When a card is Re-formatting the card controller makes unavailable any bad memory blocks it detects in the formatting process and re-writes the FAT (File Allocation Table).

SD and CF cars use flash memory - Flash memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks KmH, I know about flash memory but I guess I have never considered that it is just as likely to develop bad sectors as a hard drive. I regularly defrag my HD to manage bad sectors.
I will start formatting my SD cards.

I thought I would follow up on this thread.

Formatting did resolve the recording issue.

Thanks KmH and Ken

I ordered a dozen 16GB Transcend Class 10 cards when they were on sale at Amazon for $15 each. I don't like to use larger cards for fear one will go bad and I'll lose too much data. I've never had a card go bad, fortunately, but I change cards as often as I can when doing a full day's shoot. And I always reformat them in the camera after I get the data off.

dnavarrojr said:
I ordered a dozen 16GB Transcend Class 10 cards when they were on sale at Amazon for $15 each. I don't like to use larger cards for fear one will go bad and I'll lose too much data. I've never had a card go bad, fortunately, but I change cards as often as I can when doing a full day's shoot. And I always reformat them in the camera after I get the data off.

That's a great idea, thanks for that :) I'll probably buy a bunch of CF ones when I upgrade DSLR's. I always go with SanDisk though and how their cards can go through repeated abuse

xx-gb (8,16,10,2,32, whatever) of photographs is xx-gb of photographs whether it's on a 16gb card or a 32gb card or a 64gb card. If you don't want to fill them up, then don't. But having that extra space really comes in handy from time to time. Show me one person that uses tiny disk drives in their computer under the philosophy that this way they won't lose as much data if it crashes.

SCraig said:
xx-gb (8,16,10,2,32, whatever) of photographs is xx-gb of photographs whether it's on a 16gb card or a 32gb card or a 64gb card. If you don't want to fill them up, then don't. But having that extra space really comes in handy from time to time. Show me one person that uses tiny disk drives in their computer under the philosophy that this way they won't lose as much data if it crashes.

I like his method and if it works for him, then so be it. It's like wearing 2 condoms, better safe than sorry

Most reactions

New Topics

Back