SD vs SDHC for XSi

zbo2408

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I am getting an XSi for xmas w/ 18-55 & 55-250 from BH...

I have searched the internet for the differences between SD & SDHC (these are the media accepted by the XSi) and I still don't feel like I have a good understanding... Could someone either link me to a really good article / thread or explain the differences, the safety of each, the speed of each... Also if one or the other works better with the XSi for what ever reason...

Thanks!

ps (hope this isn't an annoying repeat topic)

sdhc is faster than sd. thats the biggest difference.

Get a Sandisk Extreme III SDHC 2/4/8 GB Card.

There's two versions, the 30mb/s edition, and the regular 20mb/s edition. Get which ever you feel you need.

Can someone give me an idea of how many raw images of the highest res I can fit on there?
It looks like a raw file is approx 15mb according to Canon. So that would work out to about 66 per gigabyte? Am I thinking that through correctly?

I use a 4 GB class 6 Extreme 3 and get about 215 - 240 images on it depending on the settings (ISO in particular) shooting RAW.

Best of luck...

i also use a 4gb kingsman (i think thats what they are called....) and i can fit about 230-250 RAW files on it. jpeg you can fit about 700

SDHC is High Capacity. Old SD-compatible devices couldn't address more than (IIRC) about 4GB of space. SDHC compliant devices can address much more. So you can slap a 16GB or 32GB SDHC card in there and be ready to rock.

Generally speaking, when an SD card has up to 2gb capacity, it's called SD, if it has 4gb or more, then it's SDHC. Well, there's a bit more than that, but that's all you need to know. Neither of them is faster, they both come in various speed versions.

i would suggest get 2 or more lower capacity SD instead of 1 high capacity. if you only have 1 with high capacity (4gb and up) and in case something happen, you will lose all your images worth of 4gb (or even more). if you have multiple SD, at least you only lose 2gb. you get the point. just a tip. ;)

Get a Sandisk Extreme III SDHC 2/4/8 GB Card.

There's two versions, the 30mb/s edition, and the regular 20mb/s edition. Get which ever you feel you need.
That's what I'd do. Or at least the Sandisk Ultra II with whatever capacity you feel like you need. I've got a 2GB Ultra II CF (10mb/s) in my XTi and a 2GB Ultra II SD (15mb/s) in my pocket cam, and couldn't be happier. Don't buy cheap cards from companies you've never even heard of, it might save you a copuple problems (or photos to be precise).

Generally speaking, when an SD card has up to 2gb capacity, it's called SD, if it has 4gb or more, then it's SDHC. Well, there's a bit more than that, but that's all you need to know. Neither of them is faster, they both come in various speed versions.

Agreed.

Most reactions

Back