Seal of Pentax K-5 body?

FocusDave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A coworker of mine is looking to purchase a DSLR and he was enticed by the Pentax K-5. Though not as widely supported as Canon or Nikon, I know that Pentax makes some good stuff. The big appeal of the K-5 was this line of the product description: "Thanks to the inclusion of 77 special seals in the body, it also boasts a dustproof, weather-resistant and cold-resistant construction, assuring reliable operation even under harsh environment and at temperatures as low as -10°C."

I have of course heard of sealed bodies before, but never a sealed body at such a low price. This Pentax offers weather resistance—something you would have to shell out D300 cash for—in a $1200 (with lens) package. Is this too good to be true, or did Pentax nail the low-cost, durable DSLR niche? I ask, because for the same amount that he's ready to drop on the K-5 he can get something like a 60D with the 18-135mm lens.

Last edited:
I was very close to buying the k5 recently but bought a canon 7d only because i have quite a few lenses. It seems from all the research and reading up that the K5 is nothing short of excellent. Any review comments on the build. I would have really liked to get one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back