Seascapes from Maine, US

JoshC.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all!
Just got back from a one-nighter to Maine. Here are the first couple from almost 1000... Let me know what you think!

"Pillars to the Sea"
5647999107_9ec737c493_b.jpg

"Castle Crevasse"
5645413868_7e9833dd5e_b.jpg

"Ghost on the Rocks"
5644227025_300e869e0e_b.jpg

I like the first one, but it looks like maybe the bottom should be cropped up a bit. The 3rd one is my favorite, I really like the angle. The b/w works well. Nice!

I like your no.1. Care to explain the set-up and editing?

I dig the last one. Surely you did post editing on these. I like how the background retreats yet have a presence, but perhaps a little too dark because they become just black silhouettes with no detail.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Mila: I see what you're saying but I liked the detail of the foreground rocks beneath the water too much to crop it out.
Molested cow: Not too much PP on that one, just the obvious. Sorry you can't see the detail in the distant rocks, I can on my computer. My monitor isn't calibrated so I'm not sure if that could be the problem. :meh:
And the settings for Digimg and the Wanderer:

First one: 15 second exposure on a tripod at f/10. 18mm on my kit lens. Editing done in Lightroom 3. Because I don't have any filters I have to be careful as to not blow out the sky. So taking the shot involved underexposing the foreground to preserve detail in the sky. The editing involved balancing both. For the first i had to burn the upper rocks on both sides of the image. The rest was the basic sliders in lightroom and and two gradient filters.

Last one: 30 second exposure on a tripod at f/10. 18mm on my kit lens. It was much darker by now and this image was much easier to make (aside from dodging waves.:lol:) Editing was simple on this one, nothing much more than the black and white conversion with minor adjustments on the sliders. 2 gradient filters just like the last image: one over the sky to darken it and another over the ground to brighten it.

Thanks for your interest guys!

love the first one.

Are these all in Acadia NP?

Thank you!
These are actually along Marginal Way in Ogunquit, Maine. We didn't have time to drive to Acadia and I'd heard great things about this place. It was very beautiful!

Most reactions

Back