Seashells - lighting practice

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to play with my flash lights again - this time I used my daughter's seashell collection as subjects. i wanted the shiny shells and the spiny shells to practice diffusing hotspots and reflections. Do you think I was successful?

I also wanted to practice using a "batch" technique for PP, so all were processed in Adobe camera RAW using the same settings and no PP done in Photoshop - just JPeggified and reduced in size for Flickr.

4941233578_a93392c179_b.jpg

4940650363_d5a458ef87_b.jpg

4941237906_009d7a5161_b.jpg

I have others, but didn't want to overdo it here...

I like the word "JPeggified" :biggrin: !!!
And yes, I like what you did here, though they're all a little red from the lighting - or is it the wood of the table? There is a bit of (bluer) window light coming in from the righthand top corner... would that have become too blue if you had tweaked WB a little?
I like your arrangements.
And I must say: your daughter has a very neat sea shell collection!!!

I like the word "JPeggified" :biggrin: !!!
And yes, I like what you did here, though they're all a little red from the lighting - or is it the wood of the table? There is a bit of (bluer) window light coming in from the righthand top corner... would that have become too blue if you had tweaked WB a little?
I like your arrangements.
And I must say: your daughter has a very neat sea shell collection!!!

Jpeggified is a contraction of "Jaypeggificated" and is much more commonly used, if only to save time in typing! :lol:

Lighting:
1. Large old flash to camera right, diffused with printer paper (about 3ft away).
2. Small, very underpowered flash on the table, subject left (about 3in from subject).
3. On-board flash diffused with two-ply toilet paper :)D) offering very little light to the scene, but needed to trigger the two OCF's as they cannot be connected to the camera by cables and I only have optical triggers.
4. Ceiling light - energy saving bulb (might be the source of the blue - they're like mini flourescent tubes).
5. kitchen light way behing camera (another flourescent)

No real window light - it was dark, and no streetlamps out back.

To tweak white balance - would that be the dropper tool? Or is there another way - I can't see how to do it if there's no (supposed to be) white in the image :confused:

BTW - I'm colour blind, so just "seeing it" is not really an option! :(

Oh, by the way - cheers for the positive comments - avoiding hotspots and so on was my primary aim. :D

Most reactions

Back