Seawall and steps

tb2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This ordinary seawall and steps became, in my view, extraordinary when the sunlight fell on it from just the right angle. Converting the digital image to black and white emphasised the interesting qualities in the shot.
For more information about this photograph (and my views on photographing ordinary things) go to:http://photoreflect.blogspot.com/2006/01/anything-can-be-extraordinary.html

050329P3290697Rossall1bw.0.jpg

Very nice! I love the combination of curved and straight lines, and as you mentioned the sunlight/black and white make this shot all the more beautiful. My only question is what is that rectangular block in the top right corner? Is it part of the wall, or something in the background? It just seems a little distracting to me.

It's got a life belt on the other side of it I think! Essential to the seawall, but not, I agree, to the phototgraph, though you could say it adds a bit of visual interest at the top right. However, I'm old fashioned about such things, and would never consider Photoshopping it out of the image.

Nice shot! I really like the textures in the concrete, sand, and rocks on the beach and it's a very good composition too. A bit of red filter to boost the cloud in the sky would be nice too. Is there such an option in PS?

DestinDave said:
Nice shot! I really like the textures in the concrete, sand, and rocks on the beach and it's a very good composition too. A bit of red filter to boost the cloud in the sky would be nice too. Is there such an option in PS?

When using the channel mixer to convert an image to B+W, the red channel acts like a red filter when using B+W film. I like your composition, i would be tempted tho to trim a tiny amount, maybe 1cm off the top so that the sky isn't an issue and doesn't play a part in the overall compostion. nice shot :thumbup:

Some interesting suggestions folks. Sky - not sure about less, but probably could do with more contrast. Left of pic - yep, a little more might have been an improvement. Thanks to all.

Tony

http://photoreflect.blogspot.com

Very sublime - your shadow detail allows us to explore all the intricacies. A slight perspective tilt is present - that can be easily corrected in PS with a small stretching out of the bottom...

Very nice work.

Tuna

Thanks for your comments Tuna. You're right, this one's all about the shadows. Query: I'm not sure that what you see as perspective tilt isn't just the angle of the walls - there's hardly a vertical at all in this construction. The back of the rightmost curved section is about it!

tb2 said:
Thanks for your comments Tuna. You're right, this one's all about the shadows. Query: I'm not sure that what you see as perspective tilt isn't just the angle of the walls - there's hardly a vertical at all in this construction. The back of the rightmost curved section is about it!

brilliant shot tb, extrodinary view. I believe Tuna may be referring to slight lens distortion, while shooting any structure with a wide angle lens this is common. PS has several methods for correction... although, I will add, I do not see this perspective tilt myself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back