Second and Third lens

iBats

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Right now i just have the kit lens that came with my camera

an 18-55mm f/3.8

so what are your suggestions for my next two lenses?

mostly be doing nature and urban photography with some landscapes

you mean 18-55 3.8/5.6 :)

now get your self wide angle and telezoom. Generally, brand name glass is pricy 3rd party are cheaper but those are like flavors. some ppl love them, others HATE them. it is very subjective.
good luck

the usual pick is a nifty fifty or a fast zoom or a macro lens :p

would be more help if you tell us what you shoot and what your camera is :D

you mean 18-55 3.8/5.6 :)

now get your self wide angle and telezoom. Generally, brand name glass is pricy 3rd party are cheaper but those are like flavors. some ppl love them, others HATE them. it is very subjective.
good luck

yes lol

and which should i get first since i can only get one at a time - tight budget and all

and my camera is a nikon d3000, i said shooting nature, urban settings -towns, and some landscapes...

get a Nikon 12-24mm or 10-24mm wide angle zoom

i dont have 800 bucks to spend lol

more like 200-300 maybe

I just started playing around with a new 35mm f1.8, and I must say, I'm in love with it so far. Much nicer bokeh than anything you can get with the kit and much sharper too. But thats just my suggestion.

mhmm

sounds good

anything with a bit more zoom?

Although "nature" photography could cover a whole lot of stuff, I would think a long zoom would be next on the list, for capturing critters at a distance.

For a landscape it's the opposite though, but I'm not sure how many *wide* angle lenses come in your budget.

I would say get something in the 70-300mm type of lens - sigma make a decent 70-300mm APO macro lens (note there is an older version of this lens without APO which although cheaper is noticably softer at the long end - the APO is worth the extra cost).

Its not going to win awards for the best lens ever, but it should fit your budget better and also give you a good feel for telephoto work and an introduction to basic macro work (its not a full macro lens but is good for things such as flower sized subjects). A good place to start when on a limited budget and when you might not be 100% sure where you want to spend your larger funds on.

As for landscape - get yourself a little tripod = nothing flashy, just a cheap one for now. Use that with your kit lens along with a decent bit of editing software (Photoshop elements/paintshoppro or for a free alternative GIMP) and do a bit of reading about photostitching. That way you can negate the need (at htis point in time) to move to a dedicated wideangle lens for static landscape work at least.

Again this is all about fitting your wants to your budget and your experience level - the gear above is a good place to start things and let you get some real world experience, whilst also learning good photographic methodology. That will let you be far more prepared to understand how to choose the more expensive gear later on, should you feel a need to.

Do you want a zoom or prime?
50 1.8
35 1.8
That's about 300ish right there and that's a second and third lens.
tj

Stick with the lens you have atm and learn how to use it, especially if you're on a tight budget. Instead, get a good flash, tripod, extra battery, couple of memory cards, camera bag, etc. Nikon still makes the SB-600, but I have found a couple of used SB-800s from Adorama in the past year. These types of accessories will enhance your photography enjoyment moreso than a cheap lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back