Second attempt at blown out backdrops. Please help with lighting.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In follow up to my post last Saturday where I was struggling to get the background blown out, I've managed to fix that problem by moving to a larger space in the basement. Yay me!

But now, the model is not getting sufficient light and I'm looking for suggestions. Any guidance is appreciated.

1. Original (last week) (pure garbage):

6831776775_432a3ae750.jpg
[/URL] DSC_0278 by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

2. Resolved the backdrop issue by moving to a larger space in the basement and bouncing light off umbrellas instead of shooting the speedlights directly at the backdrop:

6858215901_3704839f42.jpg
[/URL] Studio Shot-1 by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

3. Blew out the backdrops with 2 bounced YN 560s on full power in 42" umbrellas:

6858213733_f8f8f5be9b.jpg
[/URL] Taylor White Background 2-1 by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

4. Another blown out backdrop:

6858213285_238150c936.jpg
[/URL] Taylor White Background-1 by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

I think the problem with lighting the model is that the umbrella is just too high perhaps. If I lower it by about 1 to 2 feet, I think I can better get light on her face. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for looking.

I have 4 photos posted.

MUCH improved!! If you have three lights and are using two for the background, then bring #3 around to the front. Start with it about 30 degrees camera right or left and with the flash tube about the 5' mark, angled slightly downward.

Did you see my shot of my "studio"? Almost exactly as described, except my key was probably 1-2 feet too high. Still working on it!!

I did see the studio shot, but couldn't really estimate height/distance. If that's the case then, open up your aperture by a 1/2 stop, or increase your strobe power by 1/2 stop. Either way, it's coming along.

Great lighting improvement on the backdrop. I am also noob on flash photography.
My advise is Let your model step forward little bit, and your DOF is too shallow.

I cannot see any catchlights from the main light in the large Flickr versions. Her entire face, and her eyes, appear un-lighted. In the eyeball on the left side of the frame, I see a white catchlight that is a reflection of the white backdrop. On the right hand side of the picture, her hair is lit up pretty hot: that looks like direct "side-spill" coming from the right-hand background umbrella. The side of her facing the lens is wayyyy under-exposed. The background is quite white..."too white" one might say. She also appears out of focus.

Not sure how the light output is being regulated, but I will suggest that her face is about 3.5 stops under-exposed, in relationship to the background light level. She desperately needs more light on her face and torso and eyes, and also, the background lighting could be cut down a bit without losing the whiteness.

Are you 100% sure that the main light umbrella was firing??? I am thinking that you might have forgotten to turn the main light's trigger "On", or there could very easily have been a synchronization problem, depending on how you are tripping the flashes...but her face and eyes show almost NO trace of umbrella light whatsoever.

I cannot see any catchlights from the main light in the large Flickr versions. Her entire face, and her eyes, appear un-lighted. In the eyeball on the left side of the frame, I see a white catchlight that is a reflection of the white backdrop. On the right hand side of the picture, her hair is lit up pretty hot: that looks like direct "side-spill" coming from the right-hand background umbrella. The side of her facing the lens is wayyyy under-exposed. The background is quite white..."too white" one might say. She also appears out of focus.

Not sure how the light output is being regulated, but I will suggest that her face is about 3.5 stops under-exposed, in relationship to the background light level. She desperately needs more light on her face and torso and eyes, and also, the background lighting could be cut down a bit without losing the whiteness.

Are you 100% sure that the main light umbrella was firing??? I am thinking that you might have forgotten to turn the main light's trigger "On", or there could very easily have been a synchronization problem, depending on how you are tripping the flashes...but her face and eyes show almost NO trace of umbrella light whatsoever.

I checked the key light for that very same reason, Derrell, because I found that she was getting no light on her face at all. I think it was firing but I completely agree that her face appears to be getting no light from the key at all. The key was my SB-700 fired into a reflected umbrella and I've had some issues with it being triggered by my Cowboy radio units. The background was shot with Cowboy units and 2 YN 560's which seem to work fine. I see the spill light on her hair and sides and I need to get that corrected.

I had to shoot the YN's at 1/1 because the backdrop was not getting totally washed out at lower power. I think if I pull her away from the backdrop another 2 or 3 feet that I will get the desired result.

On the backdrop, is it easier to blow out the backdrop using bounced light in a black umbrella or should I be shooting through a white umbrella? Does it make a difference? I opted for the black reflective to eliminate additional spillage but I could be wrong on that.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the post.

Most reactions

Back