Second Attempt at HDR

jubbin2001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is another attempt at HDR. I have another I am going to work on, but this was a quick edit to share, since I thought it looked neat.

Original:
MillOriginal.jpg

HDR'd:
MillHDR.jpg

Comments or suggestions welcome.

I think your processing is excellent. The sky doesnt have sooty dirty clouds and no halos. The grass has remained green instead of turning bright yellow green. My only problems are the tilt of the picture and the unfortunate couple of spots where the foreground vegetation crosses over in front of the silo. Before you click the shutter, this is where paying attention to the details pays off.

As soon as I saw the image, I knew that was going to be an issue. I did get another view, without anything in the way...but I am not sure how well I can align it. The reason I shot this image where I did was because it was the only rest I had (forgot the tripod), and I didn't really think ripping up state park vegetation was warranted for this picture. I knew when I saw this (happens to be an old grain windmill), it would be a great canidate for some practice on a multi-exposure shot. Thanks though! I am really enjoying this whole learning experience.

To claify "tilt of the picture". Are you saying the angle of which it was shot, or the fact that the mill looks tilted to the left? I tried to keep the grass line under the mill as straight as I could, I think the actual mill is tilting. If you are referring to the angle of which it was shot, I can see that a little. It was a short stump I was trying to balance on.

I really do appreciate the feedabck.

Last edited:
Thanks again! Yes I agree. I was actually going to post the updated image with the plant cloned out....you beat me to it lol. I am going to do some more work, and repost an updated version.

Sometimes I think a pair of hand clippers is a good accessory for the photographer in the field. Just a snip here and one there and it would save some cloning time.

Thanks for the kind comments. I more prefer the natural HDR look as well, though I have to admit, sometimes when neon lighting in involved, the more surreal look catches my eye. Kind of depends on the situation. But Thanks again!

The processing you have done here HDR wise are great. The image doesn't look overworked or unrealistic as can be seen with a lot of HDR photos. I do however think that before you hit the shutter on your camera, look for interesting angles/compositions to show the subject involved. Use the rule of thirds or lines in the photo to lead the eye around the image. Try to avoid taking shots of subjects being central.

Looks fine, but why did you need to do an HDR here? Looks like all that was done was increase the saturation and contrast. There was nothing over- nor under-exposed in the original shot that I can see.

I think that the HDR processing in this image is great. I recently started learning how to make clear skies in my HDR images. I tend to like a heavy handed HDR look...noise and halos in skies is not wanted though of course.

Looks fine, but why did you need to do an HDR here? Looks like all that was done was increase the saturation and contrast. There was nothing over- nor under-exposed in the original shot that I can see.

I guess I didn't need to do HDR, but wanted to. I messed with some contrast/saturation, but it didn't quite seem to look the same to me. Just thought it would be a more of a start. Getting my feet wet so to speak.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back