Second critique - another train pic

AussieFreelancer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aussiefreelancer.com.au
Hello people,

I have just been looking through my photos again, and I thought I'd like to hear some feedback on this. After kicking myself for not using a tri-pod, I went back about an hour later, and the train was still there, so I took a few more.

There is nothing deep and meaningful behind this one. I was experimenting with leading lines. Again, I took it in Sepia, I am figuring though that all photos should be taken in colour, then changed to sepia and / or b&w in photoshop, so no colour i'm afraid.

100_0505.jpg

Settings:
f 3.6
1/200
f = 64mm (35mm)
ISO 80
Taken on cloudy, rainy day - though clear at time of photo.

I personally think this one worked out well. Perhaps as an earlier suggestion, the Sepia is not at its full potential, but I like the definite lines in it. I tried to get a definite line in top and bottom right corners, with the end of the line being on the third.

Apart from that, I don't really have anything else to say. Again, just looking for hints, tips, suggestions to make me better. :) As hard and as harsh as you want to constructively criticise. :D

It does look good and I like it but two things I noticed right away are the overhang and that the pic is taken at eye level.

Generally... if the sky, ceiling, etc doesn't add to the pic I zoom in and cut it out. The idea works best for skies that might be bland but I think it would work here to. I'm not sure if that overhang really adds any interest into the pic.

It's also important to keep in mind that everyone sees the world at eye level and it's easy to add interest into a pic by avoiding that point of view. Maybe by using a wider angle and shooting a low point of view shot (sitting down) you could've gotten a different effect.

yeah thanks, i just read about the eye level thing on another post. I like that observation, it is something I have never thought about before. :) I will certainly be trying that in my photos to come! :)

As for the roof, it doesn't do much for me either. It was just kind of there, but I do see your point, so I will certainly take that into acount next time as well.

thanks! :)

I like the lines. Great job. The one thing that I don't like (and I find myself guillty of the same problem) is the power lines in the picture. I know you can't cut them down to take the picture, but perhaps the eye level trick would eliminate them. Maybe a shot from foot level would remove them completely.

Good job. Your goals and attention to detail definetly show through in the picture.

thanks :) i had mixed opinions about the power lines. In one sense, i see totally where you are coming from, in another, the picture is afterall, at the train station. I do agree though, that from another angle, it is quite possible that they wouldn't even be there to think about. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back