Second-Hand Camera

oliverlol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to know that is it ok for beginners to buy a second-hand camera. If I want to buy used camera, how to choose a good second-hand camera?

Definitely buy a used camera, I have done so for many many years, doesn't matter if you are new to photography.
I would recommend any decent entry level camera for learning, the market is flooded.
You just have to make up your mind what is it exactly you are looking for, what kind of photography do you like, budget,... And then we can help you recommend cameras and lenses

Ok, so, take what I say with a grain of salt because I am a noob as well.

I don't feel like it is a problem. I am currently waiting on a couple of cameras to be released (Canon R3 and R1) before I make a final commitment and big purchase. I have been combing through a couple of different websites that sell cameras for super cheap. My current camera from what I can gather is about 10 years old so I am gonna buy a cheap second-hand camera and a couple of lenses just so I can get a feel for how these "newer" systems work and how to manipulate the lenses etc. The camera I currently have doesn't even allow me to take the lens off and I am so lost when it comes to lenses I'm still learning and trying to figure it out. So, maybe check on the following sites and you might find something you like that's very affordable and doesn't break the bank so you can get used to using these newer type cameras. Hope this helps.

www.keh.com
www.mpb.com
www.bhphotovideo.com

Hi Oliver, don't you like your Sony A7 III as asked on another forum ?

There is a lot of very good used gear out there right now as some are selling their dslrs and buying milcs. I buy most of my used camera gear from KEH.com. They have a more than fair rating system, a return policy and a warranty. The hard part is deciding what you want.

It has been decades since I bought a new body! Absolutely nothing wrong with used cameras, and they are plentiful. eBay, all the camera shop sites. The rental places roll their stuff out for sale all the time, too.

Definitely buy a used camera, I have done so for many many years, doesn't matter if you are new to photography.
I would recommend any decent entry level camera for learning, the market is flooded.
You just have to make up your mind what is it exactly you are looking for, what kind of photography do you like, budget,... And then we can help you recommend cameras and lenses
I want to take some causal pictures.

I occasionally go out with 2 bodies, a wide and a telephoto. Usually if I want to shoot with only primes. I don't do it much these days as I have been very specific at what I want to capture.

I want to take some causal pictures.
Then just get a nice used beginners camera with standard lens and you will be more than happy. This will make you learn more about photography and then later on you can get more specific lenses.
Definitely buy 2nd hand, the market is flooded with these

Advice I always give out.
Go try to find several cameras and fell them. Try them out. See if you like them.
find what fits you, and don't get hung up on brands or chase megapixels.
If film, the higher end stuff is best.

DO NOT buy "second hand" cameras.... buy factory refurbished if you go with a digital camera.
FAR to many people selling used cameras online are simply selling ones that dont work, You know, the ones that look ok, and work just fine with the kit lens, but the minute you try to use the flash the camera makes funny smelling smoke and some crackle noises... Or the main dials work fine, unless the camera is held upside down and then they fall out...

and "camera shops" are not reliable sources of anything anymore. most of the used stuff they sell like ebay is "refurbished" simply by rubbing it with a wet wipe.

I have bought two used cameras online from "established before 1990" camera shops, they had no "idea a camera was broken even though most electrical functions did not work or realize a camera is damaged when dials and knobs do not move

and "camera shops" are not reliable sources of anything anymore. most of the used stuff they sell like ebay is "refurbished" simply by rubbing it with a wet wipe.

I have bought two used cameras online from "established before 1990" camera shops, they had no "idea a camera was broken even though most electrical functions did not work or realize a camera is damaged when dials and knobs do not move
one such place claimed to be a REPAIR store as well, but could not understand a person would want a refund when a camera sold as fully functional despite the fact that a knob that LOCKS and UNLOCKS the shutter trigger button from moving was frozen in place...

And the other well, the place had a disagreement with me that "functional" means a camera that doesnt have a short in it that rewinds the film every time the shutter fires

I am finding that buying used/refurbished photo gear is the way to go.

Most reactions

Back