Second hand cheap bridge camera for birdwatching

Sbiriguda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My wallet is skinny like a skeleton hahahaha
I would like to start some very basic birdwatching and photography activity
I need to spend little money at least right now, and then perhaps upgrade later (not a good strategy, I know). By now I have Iphone 6s, Go Pro Hero 6 and Nikon D3100
I am considering not to buy new lenses for D3100 but a used bridge camera, both for weight and price reasons
By now I got I am thinking of buying a used camera among the ones below:

Canon SX50
Canon SX60
Nikon P900
Lumix FZ200
Lumix FZ300

Which one would you get? Any other suggestions?
Thank you

I have a SX60HS. It zooms like crazy but it is digital zoom so I tripod is helpful. Digital zoom is vary shaky in the viewfinder, makes you dizzy actually. I haven't used it in a year.
It's quite capable of making good images. Anytime you get into digital zoom, a tripod and shutter remote helps a great deal.

@dave, thank you very much for your suggestion, I would like to buy a bridge camera this time, also for weight and other reasons including price
Anyway, thank you for your suggestion, I will keep it in mind for future upgrade of my lenses

@jcdeboever thanks, in fact today I have an appointment to buy a second hand Canon SX60HS if the camera seems good after a test I would like to buy it. Since you mentioned tripod and shutter remote, can you give me a suggestion for both of them?

By the way, perhaps you can give me some hints on how to buy a second hand bridge camera
For me this would be the first time

I found this camera, 250 euros second hand including bag and spare battery
Canon sx60 - Fotografia In vendita a Como
The owner said he used it only during summer and he is selling it to upgrade to another better camera

I found some guides in the Internet about what to check in a used camera, like these ones (perhaps you can also link me a thread or a tutorial) for example the ones below, mostly not specifically about bridge cameras
https://photographylife.com/how-to-b...d-dslr-cameras
https://petapixel.com/2010/10/08/che...on-craigslist/

I have been told that in bridge cameras it's not possible to count the numbers of photos shot, so you can only guess how many clicks they have by checking if the camera looks old and especially buttons like "Func Set" look heavily used

@dave, thank you very much for your suggestion, I would like to buy a bridge camera this time, also for weight and other reasons including price
Anyway, thank you for your suggestion, I will keep it in mind for future upgrade of my lenses

@jcdeboever thanks, in fact today I have an appointment to buy a second hand Canon SX60HS if the camera seems good after a test I would like to buy it. Since you mentioned tripod and shutter remote, can you give me a suggestion for both of them?
Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch 2469A002 B&H Photo Video

Tripods are many. Just find one that is sturdy, not $20 Walmart brand, and in your price range. For that camera, because it's light, a $50 promaster brand should work, that's what I got for it. I bought I table top one for it to that collects dust.

I use wired when I want easier control over the shot.
Like when using the camera on a tripod for night shots or closeup/macro.

The problem that I have with the wireless IR remotes is, where is the receiving sensor?
If the sensor is only on the front of the camera, like on the D70, then I have to reach over the camera, to put the remote in front of the camera. This is real PiA when I have the camera on a tripod, and I am standing BEHIND the camera.

This is the single reason that I upgraded from a D70 (only IR remote) to a D70S (both IR and wired remote).
I wanted the wired remote.

If you are doing copying, with the camera on a tripod or stand, and pointed down, that position of the camera makes using the IR remote more difficult, so another place that I would use a wired remote.​

The IR remote is great for taking selfies or a group of people with you in that group.
  • You are in front of the camera, where the IR receiver is.
  • You can trigger the camera without the hassle of a long cable.

Thank you so much
How about using the Canon app on the Iphone? I would like to make an example
In a park there are squirrel, birds, etc. If you leave the camera on a tripod they approach after humans move away
So controlling the camera by Iphone app would be very useful. I think you can even control the zoom, if not other features like ISO etc. (not sure about it)
Perhaps you can also set time lapse etc. etc.
I would not consider this an alternative to IR or wired remote but some kind of additional option

Hi skinny wallet ;-)
I found some interesting website with a lot of camera products
i think you will find something skinny enough Essential camera | Home

Have a look
xo xo flower

Most reactions

Back