second model mayhem shoot

SrBiscuit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
as i still consider myself a beginner, i thought i would post this here, and ask for a little C&C. this is my second shoot that i set up from model mayhem, and she wants to go again on sunday.

thoughts?
i have a couple more i like too if anybody wants me to post them.

thanks as always!

4132719928_0b2fc06c2d_b.jpg

Ok, beginner here too, so take this with many grains of salt. My first reaction is that I like the picture. The attitude you captured with that smirk is great. I'm also digging the composition (although some may want it to follow the ROT), but my only nitpick would be her tattoo. It's a point of attention in this photo, so I'd like to see her whole tattoo. You can read the words, but not really see the rest of the fireball thing. I realize, though, the tattoo may be too large. If so, oh well.

There's also something about the background. Maybe it's that I can see it on one side, and not the other.

As far as lighting goes, it also works for me. Was this on-camera SB-600, or hand-held with your cable attached (or neither)? I think with her attitude, the harder lighting is well suited here. Again, some people may want a softer light. You just can't please everyone. That shadow under the chin is pretty harsh though.

Not sure what you're going for here, but overall nice job. Your other MM stuff is pretty cool, too.

Critiques coming from someone like me are just opinions, and you know what they say about those...

Not sure about the horizontal frame on a primarily vertical composition. Also, you seem to be suffering a little from short-focal-length-itis in terms of the nose bulging. The edge of the backdrop is showing on left side of the pic. Also, because of the dark hair, she's fading into dark background and you need a kicker light to separate her from the background. It's a little under-exposed as well.

That said, I like the composition with the one-eye covered. I like quirked half-smile. If you hit her with flashligt or something just prior to hitting the shutter release, it'll contract her pupil a bit so that you get more color from the iris and a smaller pupil.

The line on the left of the background is distracting (to me, at least) - it either needs to be on both sides to frame her, or not there at all.

I love how the colours ended up - especially the eyes - how much of that was post?

The lighting, model and pose all look good to me.

The lighting is very harsh. It looks like you took it in the dark using the on-camera flash. Then the PP is too much as well.

I think for shots like this to look good, you have to have adequate equipment.

awesome advice all around...thanks so much!

the idea about minimizing pupils is awesome...i'll definitely give that a shot at some point.

i agree that the lighting is harsh dscience...it was just a sb600 on a cable that i was holding in different positions. i guess i have some work to do on my lighting. now that i see it, the shadow under her chin is really standing out to me.
i think lighting def needs to be my next investment.

i was assisting on a shoot last saturday, and my photog friend had an 8 foot octobank. the light it put out was fantastic. so soft, and so perfect. unfortunately i dont have $3k for his setup. but im sure i could improve it even just adding my umbrella to the mix.
without spending a small fortune, what could i add to my set up or do differently?

i think the next thing i need to purchase is some triggers so i can stop limiting myself to keeping the flash at arms length. does that seem like a decent investment?

thanks again for all the advice here. it's much appreciated. :D

the only thing I don't like it cut head. Otherwise - AWESOME:thumbup:

good call.
i gotta watch my comps more closely.
i get all excited and caught up in the fun...then i neglect the important stuff lol.

thanks for the comments!

you could get a simple setup:
a lightstand $16 at adorama
umbrella ~$10
cactus (i use v2 triggers and they work but they now have v4 I think) ~$35
lightstand head ~$10

you can find all of that at adorama, besides the cactus triggers. And if you want to spend more, nikon has the SU-800. That would take advantage of nikons ittl feature.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back