412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

Most have you probably seen me around here. This summer I want to work with a professional photographer. I would like to be their assistant or second shooter. I just see it as such a good experience seeing their interaction first hand and their techniques. Also this experience would help me in the long run.

My question is how do I go about finding a job? I been browsing the internet but most of them seem weird? I found a few things on Indeed.com but nothing to my likings. I am looking for a professional that does studio work and in the field work as outdoor shoots/sports shoots. Searching the web I found a ton of Pittsburgh photographers in the area with list of numbers/emails.

Do you think it would be appropriate to send them a quick email or phone call explaining I'm a freshman in college looking to get some in the field experience? If so what should I be prepared to tell them?

Just like any other jobl IN PERSON!!!! Nothing beats face-to-face. Put together a portfolio (max 10 images, and geared toward that photographer's speciality), draft up a proper resume, and haul your butt to every studio in as far a radius as you're comfortable driving every day. Don't worry about bringing your camera; you probably won't need it for a while, but you will get really good at making coffee, taking sandwhich orders and knowing where the nearest corner-store with AA batteries is located!

Join your local PPA and meet a bunch of photographers at the meetings. I bet a ton of them are looking for help this summer.

Contact the state association for the high schools to see who their "official photographer" for state championships is. www.piaa.org , then make contact with them since they are probably an established company who hire and fire people all the time.

Thank you guys an girls for the information. I know two well known photographers in my area that are always working with my high school and do all the yearbook pictures plus sporting teams. I'll have to put some of my work together and hope for the best !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back