Second Shooting Weddings

fsquare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So after asking/applying/looking high and low for a second shooter gig to get my feet wet in the industry i finally have a taker. The funny part is, they are the studio that shot my wedding! so at least I know they are professional and do an amazing job.

Also, my graphics arts background played a huge roll because i can help with editing.

Now for most of you who have hired second shooters. Have you allowed them to use some of the photos they take for their portfolio?

I told the guy i had zero experience second shooting but showed him my portrait work and some other stuff. He said to meet up and talk. I also made sure to tell him he could pay me what he wants that while i plan to do a great job, this is a learning experience for me. Now for the graphics work i do plan to charge what i usually do as a freelancer but will give discounts based on if he helps me out.

Between starting a commercial photography program (at 36) and started to shoot for this studio, i at least have my foot in the door which is all i could ask for.

I'm confused. If you are going to study commercial photography why are you working weddings which is retail photography. If you want to go into commercial photography I would think you would want to apprentice/intern with a commercial photographer.

I'm confused. If you are going to study commercial photography why are you working weddings which is retail photography. If you want to go into commercial photography I would think you would want to apprentice/intern with a commercial photographer.

The program offers courses that would be useful in both and isn't really exclusive to any one style (Applied Location Photography, Professional Photo Practices, Camera and Light etc etc). Plus, i've applied, talked and tried. My thought process is that any work is better than no work and the same could be said with experience. If i do what i'm suppose to do is could lead to good references and other potential jobs.

I spoke to the owner and like i thought, i can't use any of those images in my portfolio. Surprisingly, the second shooter pay is pretty good and the graphic work is even better. We'll see how it goes.

Allow or not? ;) that is the question.
I have few guys with whom I work and a lot depends on the person who's shooting for me.
For most part it's my card that goes into their camera so those pics come home with me at the end of the night. However, based in the client and who second shooter was I allow it to be used for publicity when it is emphasized that shot for another studio (that being me). When/If I use what I shoot for others for my own publicity I do the reference as well and expect the same in return.

Allow or not? ;) that is the question.
I have few guys with whom I work and a lot depends on the person who's shooting for me.
For most part it's my card that goes into their camera so those pics come home with me at the end of the night. However, based in the client and who second shooter was I allow it to be used for publicity when it is emphasized that shot for another studio (that being me). When/If I use what I shoot for others for my own publicity I do the reference as well and expect the same in return.

Ya i'd love to even be able to keep a picture of two. At this point I wouldn't even post it online but there are so many photographers out there that ask for some pictures, a portfolio etc etc...it's hard to go with the "you gotta trust me on this one" lol

Personally I wouldnt 2nd shoot if I cant have and use the photos for my portfolio. They must pay me like $1000+ to just shoot and I cant use the files. Most of fun part about shooting wedding is to get that ONE(or more) image that really make you proud. If I cant look at what I shots, it takes the fun out. There is no way I would wear down my shutter (1000 shutters) and spend 8+ hours of my time for $300-$400, and I cant use the images.

Personally I wouldnt 2nd shoot if I cant have and use the photos for my portfolio. They must pay me like $1000+ to just shoot and I cant use the files. Most of fun part about shooting wedding is to get that ONE(or more) image that really make you proud. If I cant look at what I shots, it takes the fun out. There is no way I would wear down my shutter (1000 shutters) and spend 8+ hours of my time for $300-$400, and I cant use the images.

Ya i'm going to have a talk with him. It's not like i plan to blow it up and have it on display in a commercial studio.

Things you do to keep the relationship respectful with your 1st shooters:
1. give them awesome images :)
2. Do not blog, show the photos on social media BEFORE the 1st shooter
3. Always credit the main shooter when you post the photos on your website or social media.
4. Give them the images right away. Let them keep the cards first and figure out a way to give the cards back to you.

OK so after speaking on the phone with them i finally had a sit down in person. First off, great bunch of guys. The type of guys you feel you've been friends with for years.

They are 4 lead photographers with each having a second shooter. There was only one second shooter left to hire which was me so it was kind of a fluke that I caught them when i did. They are shooting 150-175 weddings this year. At first i thought 30-40 but damn when he told me that. Their first of the year is in February that i'll be second shooting. They actually have two that same day with the other one being in the Caribbean. They actually could have so many more contracts because they also do video which they are amazing at and a lot of times people ask for them to do the pictures as well but they don't have enough lead photogs to go around. Hopefully with me gaining more experience second shooting it could lead to bigger things and then my own thing.

Thanks for all the help guys. All i could ask for is getting my foot in the door and it looks to be happening.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back