Secondary spambot control measures

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It seems to me I had to fill a bot prevention box during registry, But I have found yet another set of spam threads.

Out of curiosity, Have you considered setting the post new thread permissions to a required post count, only allowing new threads to be started by users who have reached the minimum post requirement, or restricting new users to a specified aria?

For example, say a five or ten post minimum before new users are permitted to make new threads, and/or restricting new users to say "Cafe TPF" until they have a few posts under their belts.

I've seen it work rather effectively in the reduction of standard issue spam on a similar sized if not larger forum.

I'm not sure that would help, because then the SPAMers would just post their replies into existing threads...which makes it harder (more of a PITA) to get rid of.

Also, it seams that most of our new members come here with a specific question in mind, and if they were not allowed to post right away, they might just forget it and move on.

I agree, SPAM is a problem. Usually our Mod team and the 'spam cops' do a good job of getting rid of it...but we can't get all of them right away.

Also, when you see spam, please just report it, rather than replying to it. When a spammer does manage to make multiple posts, we can easily move all their posts into the trashcan....but if there are any replies to those posts, they become disembodied posts/thread and have to be removed. So when there are replies, it's a little bit of extra work to get rid of them.

Yep, I'll echo what Big Mike said.

Also, setting a limit on how many posts you have to have before you can start a new thread sort of defeats the purpose of having an Introductions forum.

I'm not sure that would help, because then the SPAMers would just post their replies into existing threads...which makes it harder (more of a PITA) to get rid of.

Also, it seams that most of our new members come here with a specific question in mind, and if they were not allowed to post right away, they might just forget it and move on.

I agree, SPAM is a problem. Usually our Mod team and the 'spam cops' do a good job of getting rid of it...but we can't get all of them right away.

Understood, The specific question thing failed to cross my mind when I posted that, despite the fact I did just that when I came here. Never hurts to make the thought known.

Also, when you see spam, please just report it, rather than replying to it. When a spammer does manage to make multiple posts, we can easily move all their posts into the trashcan....but if there are any replies to those posts, they become disembodied posts/thread and have to be removed. So when there are replies, it's a little bit of extra work to get rid of them.

Sorry, I'll keep my fun to a minimum, I did not realize vBulletin was that much different from phpBB in that reguard. When we delete a thread it's gone responses and all with two mouse clicks. I should have realized some thing was different when my post count wasn't dropping like I expected.

Also, setting a limit on how many posts you have to have before you can start a new thread sort of defeats the purpose of having an Introductions forum.

Not necessarily, but Big Mike coverd the point well enough so there is no need to worry about it further.

Is there a 'report' option I'm not seeing?

How do we report a spam post?

Under the user information (post count etc) there are icons. The 'yield sign' with the exclamation is the 'report post button'.

Under the user information (post count etc) there are icons. The 'yield sign' with the exclamation is the 'report post button'.

The "yield sign" to report post however only appears after you post a message on both yours and the other posts.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back