Seeking advice for upcoming photo shoot

Raincheck

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi forum,

Sunday the 8th September I have an other photo shoot (I do this purely as a hobby same for all involved)
We have a team that consists of several skilled members:

• Make-up artist
  • Hair stylist
  • Fashion designer
  • Interior designer

All the above are professionals as it's there daily job and friends who are our models.

The plan is to create a shot like this example:

$example.jpg

My question is how would you approach this?

Available hardware:

• 2x Ellinchrom bxri 500
  • 2x Canon speedlight 580 EX II
  • 1x white umbrella
  • 2x softbox
  • 1x striplight

Your advice is more then welcome,

Rain

The shot has a very close match of indoor light and outdoor lighting, so you need to make the indoor light "close to" the exposure of the outdoor, natural light, while keeping reflections off of the windows. The shot you show has a virtual "wall of widows", such as might be found in a Victorian era sun porch room, overlooking an old-fashioned garden. (the shot will likely be removed soon).

You need to light the indoors mostly from above, or off to one side, with a big, broad source of light, and have the model stand in front of the windows. Reflections from the flash are controlled by the angle the flash hits the windows, and where the camera is placed. Pretty simple really.

Use the right f/stop for the flash indoors, and use the right f/stop and shutter speed for the outdoor light that exists on that day. The ISO and shutter speed and lens f/stop in use all work as a triangle; outdoors today where I am at the exposure is ISO 100 at f/11 at 1/250 second. So, let's say it's the same where you are at near noon; the flash exposure needs to be close to the same: ISO 100, with the lens at f/11.

The slower the shutter speed, the brighter the OUTDOOR light will be rendered. SHutter speed will not be a factor on the flash exposure.

Why not have the model pose seated on the chair?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back