Sekonic L-358 question

jjd228

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My camera is set to 1/2 stop increments so I can hit 1/180 of a second. When I set the Sekonic L-358 to use 1/2 stop increments the shutter speed matches but the aperture value I get on the meter isn't available for my camera/lens. For example the meter says to use f4.8 but my camera goes from 4.5 to 5.6 when it's on 1/2 stop increments. WTF?

4.8 is a legit half stop between 4 and 5.6 so the only thing I can think of is that the max aperture on the lens is 4.5.
What lens are you using?

4.8 is a legit half stop between 4 and 5.6 so the only thing I can think of is that the max aperture on the lens is 4.5.
What lens are you using?

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4

Does that help make any sense?

Wow. Actually makes even less sense with a lens of that quality.
Where the hell is 4.5 coming from?
Gotta think about this a bit.

What camera are you using ?
You can check the settings on L 358 for displaying in half stops only. It looks like DIP switch is set to display 1/3 values.

The meter and camera (Canon 6D) are set to 1/2 stop increments. The shutter speeds on the meter match the shutter speeds on the camera, but the F stops are off.

If you go to set the aperture,it goes from 4 to 4.5 to 5.6?

If you go to set the aperture,it goes from 4 to 4.5 to 5.6?

Yes, when the camera is set to 1/2 stop increments. If I set it to 1/3 stop increments then I have 4, 4.5, 5.0, 5.6. But again, I need to use 1/2 stop increments on the camera so I can hit 1/180 on the shutter speed. However when I set the Sekonic to use 1/2 stop increments the f stop is off. If I set a shutter speed of 1/180 on the meter and take a reading, sometimes it tells me to use an f stop that doesn't exist on my camera.

You can check the settings on L 358 for displaying in half stops only. It looks like DIP switch is set to display 1/3 values.

The meter and camera (Canon 6D) are set to 1/2 stop increments. The shutter speeds on the meter match the shutter speeds on the camera, but the F stops are off.
Read the manual I sent you. Switch #3 if not set "on" gives you aperture display in 1/10 of stop.

Read the manual I sent you. Switch #3 if not set "on" gives you aperture display in 1/10 of stop.

I have off off on off. The meter is set correctly.

The lens just won't stop at 4.8 regardless of whether the camera is set to 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments. Is this normal for this lens?

http://www.nphotomag.com/files/2012/03/Understanding_aperture_f_stop_chart.jpg
This chart is a bit clearer. Looks like I lived all my life with a wrong conviction, that f4.5 is a half stop. That's possible, half stops are never marked in numbers on the lenses. :(. Looks like f4.8 is a half stop according to this chart so your display is correct, nothing wrong with it. On the lens it is a click between 4 and 5.6.

Nevertheless I will see, what my Pentax is showing me in that place, as my p&s Canon I have with me right now is showing 5 as a half stop. :lol:

Wow. Actually makes even less sense with a lens of that quality.
Where the hell is 4.5 coming from?
Gotta think about this a bit.
4.5 is a half stop between 4 and 5.6 :lol:
http://oberphotographytips.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/aperture-table.jpg

On that chart 4.5 is a half stop AND a 1/3 stop.
It's a floor wax! It's a dessert topping! It's both!!

All my Nikons go to 4.8 on 1/2 stop setting,and 4.5 on 1/3 so I guess I'm lost on this one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back