Sekonic L-758DR Light Meter

PicturePerfect1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I am a college student and am looking to purchase the Sekonic L-758DR light meter. I am shopping around and am not in any big hurry (being a college student I am broke and looking for the best possible deal). So far I am finding a price around $500, does anyone know of any student discounts, deals etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated... also if anyone has used one I would also be interested in any feedback on if you liked it, and/or if you have found something cheaper that you feel is just as good.

Thank you,
SMG

I don't know of any discounts, sorry. Are you a member of PPA or WPPI? They most likely would have one.
You could also do a seach for "discount codes Sekonic". It just might just come up. I've lucked out a few ways that time.
Anyhoo, I have the same unit, and it's super. You will love it.
Good luck and happy clicking!

I’ve had one since they came out about a year ago, and it has become my most used meter for still photography. I wrote a brief review of it here, and mentioned other aspects of it in a few other threads: link; link; link; link, including comments on sensitivity in low light.

Whether or not it is the ideal meter for you, and whether or not a cheaper meter would work just as well (or better) depends on exactly what you want to do with it.

Here is a picture of it beside a Profisix and a Color-Pro 3F (which is the same size as a LunaStar, for example).

6457047-lg.jpg

Best,
Helen

I agree with Helen. There are plenty of cheaper light meters that would probably suffice. Like the Sekonic L-358

As for how I will use it: I specialize in portrait photography, I have a small in-home studio so i will use it to set my flashes there, I do also do a few weddings so it would be used in a variety of different settings measuring both flash and ambient light.... and/or a mixture of both

The L-358 might be perfect because you don't really need spot metering for the cases you mention. The L-308 is also a very nice little meter for incident measurements, but the L-358 has a few more features that would be useful to you.

Best,
Helen

Do you need the spot feature of the 758? I use a L-358 and think it's great. I also use a Gossen Digital-F and find it just as accurate and a lot smaller and portable. (shirt pocket size) The 358 triggers my pocket wizards or I may not have upgraded from the Gossen. All will give you the correct reading, just depends on if you really need the extra features.

I don't really know if I will be using the spot meter... I plan on making this the only meter I buy (if possible) so i want it to take me through the changes/developments in my business as it grows? ... I would be interested to know if any wedding/portrait photographers find themselves needing the extra features of the 758

I'm sure that some do. On the other hand, I'm sure that fewer and fewer photographers are using light meters because digital cameras off instant feedback...the histogram being especially valuable.

I find that I use my light/flash meter to get a base reading but then I just go by what the histogram is telling me.

mamiya actually does a discount service. If you go to maconcampus.com and register you will be able to search through tons of photo supplies for a pretty good discount. That is, if your school offers that.

Most reactions

Back