Seldom seen part of London - Little Venice, Grand Union Canal, Camden Town and Lock

dllb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
There is a really neat part of London that not many tourists go to, as I don't think many people are aware of it, and it is off the beaten path. I have been lucky enough to have seen a fair amount of London and I have to admit this was one of the most enjoyable parts of London that I have been to.

These were taken in January so it wasn’t too green.

Showing the way

P1010054-1.jpg

Part of the Canals

P1010057-1.jpg

P1010066-1.jpg

Drawing a crowd.

P1010068-1.jpg

A park beside the canal. World Cup material?

P1010074-1.jpg

P1010081-1.jpg

I really liked the way the barges were painted, especially this one.

P1010082-1.jpg

The houses along the canals were pretty nice.

P1010083-1.jpg

Back to the boats.

P1010085-1.jpg

P1010100-1.jpg

This place was on a street that was just off the canal, to the left of the cafe. It must have been quite the effort to build it.

P1010128-1.jpg

I get the distinct feeling that it was not the low rent district.

P1010136-1.jpg

A few other places just down the street.

P1010145-1.jpg

P1010146-1.jpg

Further along the canal. I didn't see any boats in this area so don't think they are using this part. Some very nice places in a very nice setting.

P1010164-1.jpg

P1010167-1.jpg

The canal runs behind the zoo.

P1010039-1.jpg

At this point, the canal runs off to the left just past the bridge in the picture above, into a very different area with boats again

P1010043-1.jpg

P1010047.jpg

Moving towards Camden Town and Locks

P1010081a-1.jpg

A boat in the locks at Camden town

P1010088a.jpg

Just past the locks and into Camden Town. Some parts were just a bit different.

P1010065-1.jpg

P1010096-1.jpg

P1010099-1.jpg

P1010102-1.jpg

Awesome photo's! I also liked that they were parts of London that you don't see photographed often if at all. Great job!

Awesome series! Way too many to pick a fave but I loved all the boats on the canal. Are most of the boats privately owned and used as homes? I know Dave Gilmour has a barge he lives on and has a small recording studio aboard. Very interesting shots! Well done...

Love the photo's. Great series here, and it honestly makes me want to go there and ride on one of the boats;) haha.

Wow, thanks for sharing those shots! It was like my own personal tour of London, I really liked the way you had captioned them it made them all the more interesting!
I liked so many of your shots that I can't pick just one or two to praise.
Brilliant set!

DestinDave said:
Awesome series! Way too many to pick a fave but I loved all the boats on the canal. Are most of the boats privately owned and used as homes? I know Dave Gilmour has a barge he lives on and has a small recording studio aboard. Very interesting shots! Well done...

Sorry, I am not aware of the status of the ownership of the barges, but I can say without any reservation that it is well worth the walk. It really is such an under rated and unknown area of London. Hope I don't ruin it.

What an enjoyable photo series. I like all your pics, and with some I had to think "Hey, like Little Amsterdam right there in London" (though the houseboats on the Amsterdam Grachten look different, I do admit) ... if I would need to point out a favourite, it would be the capture of the nicely painted barge with the dancing couple ... the reflection on which is also so neatly included in the frame!

Maybe I should direct the planners of the TPF UK Meet-Up in London on 2 + 3 September to this thread ... they might consider putting this part into their planning?

And I will move this from Landscape and Nature to the General Gallery, since - although there is a lot of nature to be see, considering it is LONDON, after all! - it is not QUITE what we would have here ... so the General Gallery it is, ok? ;)

LaFoto said:
What an enjoyable photo series. I like all your pics, and with some I had to think "Hey, like Little Amsterdam right there in London" (though the houseboats on the Amsterdam Grachten look different, I do admit) ... if I would need to point out a favourite, it would be the capture of the nicely painted barge with the dancing couple ... the reflection on which is also so neatly included in the frame!

Maybe I should direct the planners of the TPF UK Meet-Up in London on 2 + 3 September to this thread ... they might consider putting this part into their planning?

And I will move this from Landscape and Nature to the General Gallery, since - although there is a lot of nature to be see, considering it is LONDON, after all! - it is not QUITE what we would have here ... so the General Gallery it is, ok? ;)

Absolutely and thank you for your comments.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back