Seldom talked about topic

hmm just a thought but have you considered creepy crawlies?
nothing exotic, just your average bugs that like to hide under things in the garden - with some work and a few bugs (plus research to make sure they don't eat each other) you could setup some indoor enclosures for them - and use them in their enclosures for macro shots.
Unlike a lot of flying bugs, these are trickier since they don't settle unless they are undersomething so it gives a level of challenge to get it just so that they are covered, but stilll photographable (or to speed up exposing them and snapping the shot).

Just an idea :)

Carol, have you looked into Medium Format cameras? Especially the ones with waist level viewfinders that you look down into to focus? These could allow you greater freedom in what you shoot and the ability to take your time and shoot in comfort. You wouldn't be shooting sports with one of these but you could easily prefocus and capture birds at a feeder or the like.

You might also benefit from looking into doing your own prints. Especially the more esoteric forms such as carbon or coffee. A nights worth of google will show the way.

Chin up, you're doing great!

mike

hmm just a thought but have you considered creepy crawlies?
nothing exotic, just your average bugs that like to hide under things in the garden - with some work and a few bugs (plus research to make sure they don't eat each other) you could setup some indoor enclosures for them - and use them in their enclosures for macro shots.
Unlike a lot of flying bugs, these are trickier since they don't settle unless they are undersomething so it gives a level of challenge to get it just so that they are covered, but stilll photographable (or to speed up exposing them and snapping the shot).

Just an idea :)

I have enough creepy crawlies in my house already :lol: or at least i will soon. Living in a rural area, the fall and spring bring out very large, very black, did I mention very large, garden spiders. I learned 10 years ago always dump shoes before inserting feet. Never slip your arm into a jacket that has hung on the hook idle for more than three weeks and always check between the sheets before going to bed during those seasons.:lol: Trust me - they don't get photographed, they get squished!!!!! Now outside is a different story - there I would be happy to photograph them. Have considered getting a small fish tank though.:D

Carol, have you looked into Medium Format cameras? Especially the ones with waist level viewfinders that you look down into to focus? These could allow you greater freedom in what you shoot and the ability to take your time and shoot in comfort. You wouldn't be shooting sports with one of these but you could easily prefocus and capture birds at a feeder or the like.

You might also benefit from looking into doing your own prints. Especially the more esoteric forms such as carbon or coffee. A nights worth of google will show the way.

Chin up, you're doing great!

mike

Thanks for the suggestions, but money is extremely tight right now, so no new or even used equipment for quite some time to come.

Come spring, which thankfully is almost here, and the bugs come out and the wildflowers begin to bloom, I'm hopeful that with my husband's assistance, I will be able to get some of those lower angle shots I've been wanting..... I did try one last fall just after I gave up the walker. I sat down on the ground and leaned back against a tree for support to shoot up at a group of trees decked out in beautiful fall colors with hints of bright blue sky peeking through the branches. I just couldn't let the shot go - I HAD to get it. My husband was unsuccessful in helping me to stand; since we were on an incline, in trying to help me, he almsot fell into the stream below us. I ended up having to crawl back up the slope we were on to the main path and over to a bench before I could get back up on my feet.:lol: About 5 minutes later as my husband and I sat there laughing about the incident and I brushed mud and dirt from my jeans and hands, a group of school kids passed by and I couldn't help but wonder what they would have thought had they seen me crawling up the hillside.:lol:

I love this story. :D You didn't limit yourself and you went for the shot, how awesome. I have four kids, two that are disabled they are blind. I always tell them the only limits are the ones you put on yourself. Always go for it. The oldest likes to mountain climb and go deep sea fishing and people always question how does he do it. He adapts to the situation and goes for it.

By the way how did that shot come out?

I love this story. :D You didn't limit yourself and you went for the shot, how awesome. I have four kids, two that are disabled they are blind. I always tell them the only limits are the ones you put on yourself. Always go for it. The oldest likes to mountain climb and go deep sea fishing and people always question how does he do it. He adapts to the situation and goes for it.

By the way how did that shot come out?

The shot turned out reasonably well, not as good as I had hoped, but acceptable. Its on a CD in a generalized "fall color" folder with hundreds of other fall color shots. I'll have to look through by date and see if I can find it to post here.

Wow - mountain climbing and blind, thats awesome he can do that. :thumbup:

Thanks for responding.:D

My husband has a 105mm macro that I'm looking forward to using....not sure, but i think it is a Sigma.

If it is the 105mm F/2.8 macro Sigma, an excellent lens.

If I had physical restrictions, the one major thing that would aid me is patience (something that most of the time I have a massive abundance of). I think that the US Marines credo of "adapt and overcome" would become my credo. Find new ways to look at the same things. In such cases, the disability could suddenly find itself being an advantage from the perspective that the angle of that shot is unique to my physical condition.

Just sitting here as I type this, and I seem to recall a post that was made here over a year ago. Forgive me if I cannot recall the specifics, but it was about (I believe), a physically handicapped man that just started to take pictures of people's reactions to his handicap. Becuase of his lack of legs, his angles were near always upwards in direction, but his shots were candids of expressions of people who just noticed him. He became quite the photographer too.

I don't have much personal input but it reminds me of Andre Kertesz. I went to an exhibit of his photos at the International Center of Photography in NYC. Towards the end of the exhibit there were a series of polaroids framed and hanging on the wall. At first glance they looked out of place until you read the story behind them. In his later years (depressed with the passing of his wife), he spent much of time confined to his apartment with a polaroid SX-70 which required no effort to develop and print. This master still managed to produce a wonderful series of art....

André Kertész: The Polaroids « Think in Pictures

If it is the 105mm F/2.8 macro Sigma, an excellent lens.

If I had physical restrictions, the one major thing that would aid me is patience (something that most of the time I have a massive abundance of). I think that the US Marines credo of "adapt and overcome" would become my credo. Find new ways to look at the same things. In such cases, the disability could suddenly find itself being an advantage from the perspective that the angle of that shot is unique to my physical condition.

Just sitting here as I type this, and I seem to recall a post that was made here over a year ago. Forgive me if I cannot recall the specifics, but it was about (I believe), a physically handicapped man that just started to take pictures of people's reactions to his handicap. Becuase of his lack of legs, his angles were near always upwards in direction, but his shots were candids of expressions of people who just noticed him. He became quite the photographer too.

I checked and it is the Sigma 105mm f2.8 lens that my husband has. I'm hoping to try it out at Hershey Gardens and their butterfly house this summer. Yu mentioned the handicapped man who shot people's reactions of seeing him - I have noticed that in most people. They see someone with a disability, or who simply walks a bit odd like I presently do and they stare.... whats the old saying? "Take a picture it will last longer." ? I can certainly understand where he was coming from and why he chose to shoot their reactions to him.

It isn't easy, but I am trying to find new ways to shoot the things I like to photograph. And with all the problems the neuropathy has caused me, its a small price to pay, all considered, and I'm grateful that I've been in remisson for 8 months now. :thumbup:

Thanks for responding.

There are photographs everywhere ... not only at the end of a steep and cold trail. It is up to us to see them. Physical impairments are similar to equipment impairment (i.e. lack of lenses), neither can/will stop a person from getting the exceptional photo ... but both will make it more difficult.

Respriction make you more creative and sharpens one's eye. Again, photographs are everywhere ... you just have to sharpen your eye and open up your imagination to see them.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Gary

PS- Here is a series from the backyard.
Gary Ayala : photos : Backyard Series- powered by SmugMug

Instead of thinking broad for your nature images ... maybe small, try some macro.
G

I don't have much personal input but it reminds me of Andre Kertesz. I went to an exhibit of his photos at the International Center of Photography in NYC. Towards the end of the exhibit there were a series of polaroids framed and hanging on the wall. At first glance they looked out of place until you read the story behind them. In his later years (depressed with the passing of his wife), he spent much of time confined to his apartment with a polaroid SX-70 which required no effort to develop and print. This master still managed to produce a wonderful series of art....

André Kertész: The Polaroids « Think in Pictures

I just checked the link and I agree :thumbup: Thanks for responding.

There are photographs everywhere ... not only at the end of a steep and cold trail. It is up to us to see them. Physical impairments are similar to equipment impairment (i.e. lack of lenses), neither can/will stop a person from getting the exceptional photo ... but both will make it more difficult.

Respriction make you more creative and sharpens one's eye. Again, photographs are everywhere ... you just have to sharpen your eye and open up your imagination to see them.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Gary

PS- Here is a series from the backyard.
Gary Ayala : photos : Backyard Series- powered by SmugMug

Instead of thinking broad for your nature images ... maybe small, try some macro.
G

Thanks for responding. I Really like your backyard series! Yes, I am hoping to get into some macro of bugs and butterflies and flowers come spring. We have several tall butterfly bushes in our yard, so that will help.

Since you have the Sony Alpha 100, I would recommend the Sony A350 because it has a tiltable LCD screen and live view which would allow you to shoot at low angles without using the viewfinder. A good telephoto 75mm to 300mm along with a fast wide angle/macro zoom can work to minimize the need for a lot of mobility. A monopod can double as a walking stick and a cane, as well as a camera support.

It is also helpful to minimize the equipment being carried based on your assessment of the kind of photos you will likely be taking. Don't carry what you don't think you will be using. This winter I often carried my DSLR in a small superzoom camera bag with a 2.8 18mm to 50mm macro attached. Even wiping out on skis kept the camera from getting covered in snow.

skieur

Since you have the Sony Alpha 100, I would recommend the Sony A350 because it has a tiltable LCD screen and live view which would allow you to shoot at low angles without using the viewfinder. A good telephoto 75mm to 300mm along with a fast wide angle/macro zoom can work to minimize the need for a lot of mobility. A monopod can double as a walking stick and a cane, as well as a camera support.

It is also helpful to minimize the equipment being carried based on your assessment of the kind of photos you will likely be taking. Don't carry what you don't think you will be using. This winter I often carried my DSLR in a small superzoom camera bag with a 2.8 18mm to 50mm macro attached. Even wiping out on skis kept the camera from getting covered in snow.

skieur

I have been seriously considering a monopod for that very reason. As far as getting another camera, thats financially impossible. What I have been doing on the warmer days that I have gone out, is take my camera bag, buut I leave it in the car. Then on the walk I only bring the camera with a 35-70 zoom macro attached and I put my 70-210zoom in my coat pocket; It has lots of big pockets. Then I'd put my spare battery in an inner pocket, and my hand warmers in another pocket. Since I can only manage about 20 minutes or so out in the cold, this has worked out okay. I imagine come spring my husband will lug the camera bag and I'll just have the camera to deal with. I'm hoping by the end of spring that more of my neuropathy will have dissipated and I can do the things I used to do.
Thanks for responding.

If I were to become physically impaired in some way that effects the way I can take photos, then I imagine that it would just change my whole take on how I can move around and what's accessible to me. Obviously some places wouldn't be as easy for me to go to, or even possible. So I would be relearning my way around the world, which would be happening anyway. We all have natural places that we gravitate toward anyway because they are easy for us to get and/or we find them worthwhile.

While that would create some limitations, I do think that it would open up new opportunities too. There might be places that are actually easier to get to than before. For instance, certain communities might open up for you, or even restricted areas. In life, when you lose something you gain something else that you might have expected. I feel that way about everything, so having some restrictions would also mean having new resources, given that I can still take photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back