Selective color that Works?

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I usually am not a fan of selective color, sure it is pretty cool when we all first learn photoshop and wow, look at this I can make her eyes blue and the rest of the photo black and white type of deal....

But for this picture, I think it works? no?

osbtys.jpg

I think it works really well in this photo.. I wouldn't have even realized it was selectively colored unless you pointed it out.

When I use selective coloring (or selective de-coloring), it's to control where the viewer's eye will go.

That's why it doesn't work on many images, because people leave the details in color but not the parts of the photo that the viewer should be looking at first/most.

It can also be used to hide area that are too distracting from the main subject.

The photo is black and white, but I colored in the bushes, and of course the sign and a bit of the sidewalk.

If you SC'd everything but the building and black fence, then does it mean that all you did was make the building gray?
It took me a long time to figure out what the sign said.

it looks like everything that isn't color looked like it was already that color?

I don't think this looks bad, but I think the vertical lines in the fence sort of confuse the eye. I agree that its almost hard to tell that the letters are in color. Of course I am on my laptop, so everything is a bit skewed.

Here is a selective coloring I did recently with a pic I took at Game 4 of the NBA Western Conference Finals. There was way too much orange on everyones clothes and the court, so I selectively colored the important parts of the shot.

29859_124742880881902_1000003857308.jpg

Burstinflames

I like this photo.

Would you mind removing the orange from the rim?

I think it would add more drama to the shot itself..

the lettering really gets lost in that fence. maybe do some coloring that would make it stand out more? very busy area

the lettering really gets lost in that fence. maybe do some coloring that would make it stand out more? very busy area

Yeah, I didn't think of that, maybe if it was a darker and brighter color it would stick out more. The pale blue just doesn't work..

Burstinflames

I like this photo.

Would you mind removing the orange from the rim?

I think it would add more drama to the shot itself..

Thanks. I tried it that way, and with just Nash colored, but for some reason it seemed to work best this way.

I don't think this looks bad, but I think the vertical lines in the fence sort of confuse the eye. I agree that its almost hard to tell that the letters are in color. Of course I am on my laptop, so everything is a bit skewed.

Here is a selective coloring I did recently with a pic I took at Game 4 of the NBA Western Conference Finals. There was way too much orange on everyones clothes and the court, so I selectively colored the important parts of the shot.

29859_124742880881902_1000003857308.jpg

i think this works because it optically describes being in (THE ZONE) ... if you know what i mean.

i think sc should fit if you can tell yourself, this is the ol nly thing that matters in the world of this shot. tuff to do. easier in marketing i would believe.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back