Selective coloring

stang96mj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do you do this in Photoshop Elements 6? TIA(Thanks in advance) ;)

The only way I can think of is PSE is:
- create a second, duplicate layer
- desaturate the new layer
- Use the mask or eraser (if no mask) on the area you want the colour to come out on the duplicate layer

The only way I can think of is PSE is:
- create a second, duplicate layer
- desaturate the new layer
- Use the mask or eraser (if no mask) on the area you want the colour to come out on the duplicate layer
Thanks. But how do i fix it where the color has gone off the subject i am "erasing"?

After you desaturate the entire image, you can't color it without either un-doing the desaturation, or creating another layer that you can add color to.

After you desaturate the entire image, you can't color it without either un-doing the desaturation, or creating another layer that you can add color to.

Exactly. You need to have colour there in the first place.

If you shot an image with a black and white setting in your camera, you cannot get that colour back into the image. You'd have to manually use a paint brush to do so, which would probably yield horrible results.

Which is why I never shoot BW in camera, I always convert to BW in processing.

If you have created the two layers, top desaturated and bottom coloured, and you are using the erase tool to bring out the colour from the photo underneath and make a mistake and take out too much, simply undo.

That is why the Layer Mask function in Photoshop (I dont think PSE has this) is a great tool, as you don't really erase something, you just chose to hide it and can always unhide it if need be.

I would highly suggest heading to YOUTUBE and do a search on a video that shows you how to do this.

Exactly. You need to have colour there in the first place.

If you shot an image with a black and white setting in your camera, you cannot get that colour back into the image. You'd have to manually use a paint brush to do so, which would probably yield horrible results.

Which is why I never shoot BW in camera, I always convert to BW in processing.

If you have created the two layers, top desaturated and bottom coloured, and you are using the erase tool to bring out the colour from the photo underneath and make a mistake and take out too much, simply undo.

That is why the Layer Mask function in Photoshop (I dont think PSE has this) is a great tool, as you don't really erase something, you just chose to hide it and can always unhide it if need be.

I would highly suggest heading to YOUTUBE and do a search on a video that shows you how to do this.
ok thanks for your help

Does your program have a history brush? That works too.
If it does, you can do this:
Take the image, and convert it to BW. Do NOT edit in any other way- cropping, sizing etc. It will not work. Then using the history brush simply "paint" over the parts of the image. I usually use a soft edged brush and its very "nice" and doesn't pick up too much of what you DONT want it to do

Most reactions

Back