Selenium cell meter question

colloquialism

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I picked up a Minolta Autopak 550 for $2, with a partially-shot 126 cartridge in it that I'd like to finish. The batteries are dead, and I'm not sure if the selenium meter works.
I'm reading that the shutter speeds for these cameras are by default 1/90 (and if it had batteries, flashcube, and working selenium meter, 1/45 for flash). The lens is f2.8, and the film in it is 100 iso.

What does it mean when it says the selenium cell meter "sets exposure" in this sort of camera? Is it really just for determining whether or not to flash/use the slower shutter speed?

I should be able to just go fire it without meter, batteries, or flashcube at the above "defaults", no?

Thanks.

I picked up a Minolta Autopak 550 for $2, with a partially-shot 126 cartridge in it that I'd like to finish. The batteries are dead, and I'm not sure if the selenium meter works.
I'm reading that the shutter speeds for these cameras are by default 1/90 (and if it had batteries, flashcube, and working selenium meter, 1/45 for flash). The lens is f2.8, and the film in it is 100 iso.

What does it mean when it says the selenium cell meter "sets exposure" in this sort of camera? Is it really just for determining whether or not to flash/use the slower shutter speed?

I should be able to just go fire it without meter, batteries, or flashcube at the above "defaults", no?

Thanks.

A selenium meter doesn't require batteries. However it's rare to find one still working. Your camera has a cds cell meter that does require batteries -- you'll need a 625A battery. In your camera the battery is also required to set the lens aperture so the camera is not really going to work correctly without it.

Joe

Hmm, searching around on the web it looks like the AutoPak 500 has a selenium and the 550 changed to a CdS .. CdS meters requires batteries for power.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back