Self Assignment 2-The rule of thirds

AnimalHunter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After getting feedback on my first few attempts at photography which have all been heard. I have conluded that less is more for constructive commenting. I don't have a studio and I don't have many interesting things to shoot.
My main focus right now is applying the rule of thirds. I feel I'm growing with each attempt.

I also chose to make the subject a singular subject. So as to really focus on placement and not worry about clutter in the shot. I am appreciating more why people make their own studios and control the elements.

dsc_0239.jpg

In the second shot while not so much focusing on the rule of three but someone mentioned trying different shooting angles our eyes are not used to seeing the subject your shooting.

dsc_0250.jpg

For the purposes of this shot and in keeping with simplicity, I used the auto mode when shooting and the lighting is overhead halogens and natural light through the window from the left.

I look forward to review.
Thanks.

the top photo with the hose 'looking' into the frame is more appealing. Think of it as a person who's face is pointing into as opposed to out of the frame. The horizon (wall/floor) level is distracting though as it's so low in the frame. Place the subject higher or move it further from the wall. You're on the right track, composition is 90% of the art ;)

Without any context, what you have in #1 is a product shot. These types of shots are best centered in the frame, ignoring the rule of thirds. However, if you had an open book of matches laying flat with one match bent up and lit, that would give you context and a bit of irony to boot (think overkill). There is also a strange line on the bottom, assuming the table edge, so be mindful of that when considering you point of view.

The second image is much better from a creative stand point. Unfortunately, it is a swing and a miss, but a good miss because you attempted out-of-the-ordinary. Try a portrait orientation to eliminate the superfluous negative space.

Horrible question but when you say portrait orientation is that shooting straight on to the subject?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back