Self conscious photographer

poke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To start off my name is Jon and im 17 and a senior in highschool. I know I'm not the only person with this issue and I'm not sure if there's another thread about it so i figured I'd open my own. As much as I love photography, I can't seem to get past the self conscious side of me when it comes down to getting the job done. I shoot with a d7000, a Nikon 24-70 2.8 and a Nikon 70-200 2.8 so it's not like my gear is bad by any means. I'm an outgoing person when I'm with my friends but sometimes I just get in a mood to not take pics on the job. I know this is a bad habit and I'm trying to break it asap so if anyone has been through this or has any advice then please feel free to share.

Dafug?

What are you self conscious about? Having a camera and lenses and taking pictures?
And what are you referring to with the "job"?

Sounds a bit like Oppositional Defiant Disorder to me. I'd look for ways to overcome that. Even if it isn't ODD, the techniques will serve you well in this problem!

Do you get nervous about not meeting peoples expectations and then it just scares you a bit? Is that what you mean?

Sounds a bit like Oppositional Defiant Disorder to me. I'd look for ways to overcome that. Even if it isn't ODD, the techniques will serve you well in this problem!

He's just a nervous guy, why does it need to be a disorder?

kathythorson said:
Do you get nervous about not meeting peoples expectations and then it just scares you a bit? Is that what you mean?

Yes that always crosses my mind a lot. I have no disorder by any means.

He's just a nervous guy, why does it need to be a disorder?
Did you miss where I said 'EVEN IF IT ISN'T ODD, THE TECHNIQUES WILL SERVE YOU WELL WITH THIS PROBLEM'???

MLeeK said:
Did you miss where I said 'EVEN IF IT ISN'T ODD, THE TECHNIQUES WILL SERVE YOU WELL WITH THIS PROBLEM'???

Which techniques are you referring to?

No I just was curious why you started with a disorder.

Still not sure what you're self-conscious about though.

No I just was curious why you started with a disorder.

Still not sure what you're self-conscious about though.
It's the easiest way to look up the techniques for dealing with the disorder. WHich may serve him well even if it isn't ODD... as the whole original response says.

kathythorson said:

Yes that always crosses my mind a lot. I have no disorder by any means.

I completely get it. When I first started charging people I would get so nervous before a shoot. This is the complete opposite of my personality, because normally I am a very confident person. My normal job is in a group environment and I always have someone around to ask for help. Photography is different. You are kind of on your own and really have to be on your toes. It's almost like your on a stage. Your clients are looking to you for direction and coaching. Once it becomes second nature to you, it really does get alot easier. Just keep working at it, and I think things will improve.

Everyone gets a bit nervous (ok ok mostly everyone some people never do*) from time to time. It's something that is going to be worse as you're younger and also starting out and that will be the same for many many people. Overcoming can be done in many ways and there are various ways you can use to reduce the feelings.

Generally speaking its something that will normally go away with time and experience, the more you shoot the less you'll worry about others and the more you'll be able to focus on the job at hand. It's the same for things like giving public speeches - you won't get over the fears till you do it and often, especially if you enjoy what you do, you'll find that you'll eventually get wrapped up enough in what you do that you won't be having time to think about what others around you (although for something like photography I would always advise that you retain a sense of awareness to your surroundings - don't get too tunnel visioned otherwise:

Wedding Photographer Falls Into Water Fountain - YouTube
will happen ;)

*or never admit they do ;)

He's 17 years old, has better gear than most on this forum, has been diagnosed by Dr MLeek as potentially having a disorder that prevents him from being calm while meeting strangers. I think what he is going through is being 17 and not sure of himself yet, it will get easier, everyone has gone through it.

On another note, why do people always have to come up with "something wrong disorder" there are already too many internet doctors out there. I have a headache and the internet says it could be a stroke or brain tumor, what should I do?

Oh, for Christ's sake. I didn't say he had a damn disorder. I said it SOUNDS LIKE and EVEN IF IT ISN'T... THese techniques will help... It's the friggin techniques he needs.

Most reactions

Back