Self Done Head Shots

MyOwnPaparazzi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking into getting some professional head shots done for Pageants and they are pretty darn expensive. I know it's worth it, but while I save the money I decided to try to do my own. I did my hair and makeup and used a bare wall as my backdrop. I used 3 external lights, and my tripod, along with a blow dryer to attempt to get my hair to look blown. (but I think I used too much hairspray) then I did minimal retouching and light correction with picasa Anyway here are a couple of my favorites. What do you all think? Obviously not as good as a professional, but pretty good for a first attempt? Anyone done self head shots have any advice for ways to make them better next time? Specifically ideas for backdrops.

$IMG_7794.JPG$IMG_7881.JPG

I've done LOTS of headshots, but never my own; these aren't bad, but it does seem like the focus is a bit soft. Looking at your catchlights, they seem a little odd; what was your lighting setup?

i noticed the softness as well. How can I fix that? Also I did 1 umbrella light on each side and a light directly in front of me (behind camera) but it didn't have an umbrella on it. The camera flash was on as well, but I was a bit back from it so not sure how much that factored in. Could any kind of post editing fix the softness?

In addition to what's been said you are to close to your background causing some distracting shadows.

thanks, I agree, I need to find some space in my house where I can get farther away.

Hi, and welcome!

I like the pose in #1 better because your face is not down nor up, but straight on. #2 your chin is down and in, so not the most flattering.

Your head is tilted slightly in #1, which might be o.k.

On that wind-blown hair, yes, you might need to do it again with less hairspray. Also, find a regular fan to move more air.

The lighting is not very interesting, and the lens focal length is too short, and is causing an unflattering rendering (for example, the sharp under-chin shadow in #2). Looking at these, I figure I could make you look three to five times better, easily. Headshots are too important to scrimp on...you need a photographer to make them for you. Somebody with lighting gear, light modifiers, and lenses, and a person who also has the skills and knowledge to use all of the aforementioned items.

Thanks everyone :) I would not use these for anything where I needed a professional headshot. I was just seeing what I could do and I am FAR from professional. I appreciate all the comments very much.

My [almost] failsafe headshot recipe: One light high and left (or right if you prefer) about 30 degrees off of lens axis, reflector close in on the opposite side. Tape a mark on the floor, then put something like a lamp or similar, lock focus on that, switch to manual focus, and go with an aperture of around f8. Get as far away from the background as you can and DO NOT use the on-camera flash. If you want to add a background light, throw a gel on the speedlight for some interest. That recipe produces this:

544670_564931463538299_430667647_n.jpg

....... The camera flash was on as well, but I was a bit back from it so not sure how much that factored in. Could any kind of post editing fix the softness?
It factored in alright. Having two catch lights (read clamshell lighting) is not all that uncommon. However, a catch light dead center is a give-away the the on-board flash was used. It is never attractive IMO.

My [almost] failsafe headshot recipe: One light high and left (or right if you prefer) about 30 degrees off of lens axis, reflector close in on the opposite side.
IMO, John got it right by having the Main or Key light on the same side as the part of the hair. If he had placed the Main on camera right, shadows would be introduced on her forehead by the light.

You have a good start, keep at it.

thanks! When I get around to doing my hair and make up again I will try the mentioned lighting technique.

That's why it looks a bit odd, because of the on-camera flash.

Try not to use it when you can help it, because it basically negates whatever flattering effects you might get from your off-camera lighting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back