Self Portrait + Assistant

Granddad

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I needed a new shot for my website's contact page and wanted something that showed my lovely assistant (wife) with me. The intent being to present us as friendly, mostly harmless, warm and welcoming. I'm not sure I've nailed it but I think I'm on the right lines. There were more without hats but I decided they were too cheesy. Should we try again and lose the hats? Other comments and suggestions welcome.

For #2 we were playing around, pulling faces and generally warming ourselves up for the camera. I then continued playing around in post. ;)

#1 $Couple_00079.jpg

#2 $Couple_00041_pphorror.jpg

Haha, play you did! Green eyes, and pointed ears! I like it :) I think if you're going for a friendly, inviting look, you need to be front facing. Hats don't matter, but maybe a nice smile and some cuddling with your wife would be nice. Just my 2 cents!

As an 'about' picture, I'm not sure that I would use the first one. Your composition seems to put your wife in a position of slightly greater prominence and my first impression is that the image is 'about' her (Yes, we know that it is always about SWMBO ;) ). I like the idea of it, but I think if you switched your positions, and dropped your key just a hair (you're losing some whites) it would be good. I think the hats work; you both look like warm, friendly people, just what you want for this sort of shot. #2 is just a really cool shot. Halloween cards?

As an 'about' picture, I'm not sure that I would use the first one. Your composition seems to put your wife in a position of slightly greater prominence and my first impression is that the image is 'about' her (Yes, we know that it is always about SWMBO ;) ). I like the idea of it, but I think if you switched your positions, and dropped your key just a hair (you're losing some whites) it would be good. I think the hats work; you both look like warm, friendly people, just what you want for this sort of shot. #2 is just a really cool shot. Halloween cards?

Good points! Yes, SWMBO is definitely the extrovert. She's the performer and loves the limelight while I'm happy to be in the background; I usually HATE being photographed. The placing of her in the place of greater prominence with the main lighting on her was unconscious but I can see it now and you're right.

It's half term break this week so I have her available much of the time (when she's not playing mud pies in her vegetable patch or baking cookies with grandchildren); I'll book a re-shoot. I think the loss of the whites was slight carelessness/hurry in post.

I like #1 quite a lot. I think you should use it exactly as it is.

I don't quite think you nailed it but agree you're headed in a good direction. My vote would be yes to hats.. yes to smiles and maybe either facing each other slightly or both at an angle facing whatever direction the wife is facing in the first
. Too early to decipher what's what here. Lol

Nice work ;) I have to know was the Vulcan look in the second shot intentional or a happy accident?

Nice work ;) I have to know was the Vulcan look in the second shot intentional or a happy accident?

LOL!! As I said, we were fooling around with expressions to warm up and get in a smiley mood. I liked this one and as I processed it I thought "I look like a cross between Mr Spock's grandfather and a bald elf! ... so basically it was an accident. ;)

I like.

In #1, the light spill on her chin and your cheek suggests you might look at backing off the bg light a bit.

The second shot really makes me want to watch a television series in which the two of you solve crimes together.

I actually searched TPF thinking SWMBO was a local term I was missing. I wish I could say I had an SOA moment and figured it out for myself, but nope. Had to google it. Hmmm...I think this means I don't have enough authority in the old squirrel house.

One minor thing that is miniscule and is a matter of taste, but I would prefer you without the glasses cord...something about it makes me feel like you're old fashioned, vs. being a warm, loving, and open couple. Otherwise, I love the shot and it looks like Julie Andrews is cheating with you :D

One minor thing that is miniscule and is a matter of taste, but I would prefer you without the glasses cord...something about it makes me feel like you're old fashioned, vs. being a warm, loving, and open couple. Otherwise, I love the shot and it looks like Julie Andrews is cheating with you :D

Joel Grimes wears those eyeglass cords so they are ok by me! :) And yes! When I saw the picture, Julie Andrews is the first person who came to my mind! And that's a good thing.

Most reactions

Back