Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG 1:

4832615999_4387cb4b20_b.jpg

IMG 2
4832613685_c3db7ff40c_b.jpg

What do you think?

EDIT: Added a 2nd image. I took these yesterday, in the evening. The sun was sitting on the other side of the house so I had real good soft light. Too bad I didn't really use it lol

Last edited:
Not bad, just missing some fingers and hair!

I'd bring up the background exposure a tad as well.

And if Derrell finds this post he'll give you one of his portrait frames as a gift I'm sure. Haha.

~tom

Not bad, just missing some fingers and hair!

I'd bring up the background exposure a tad as well.

And if Derrell finds this post he'll give you one of his portrait frames as a gift I'm sure. Haha.

~tom
I was going with the style that crops part of the head off to give it a tight shot or at least that is what I have read lol. Can't do much with the fingers =/

I figured thats what you were going for but I feel like the "chop top" look really only works in a select few circumstances. I feel like the head has to fill more of the frame and the lower edge of the frame needs to be just below the chin. Seems like even on TV when you see them constantly chopping hair out of the shot, its usually when they are in tight on a persons face.

To each his own, that's the wonderful thing about photography, right?

~Tom

That is a beautiful lawn across the street behind you! The tree growing there really adds to the tranquility of the shot. And the white window frame adds a nice pull for the eye. It says, "there's a house over here, in the shade." I do like the umbrella lighting on you, the ostensible subject of this photo. I'm not too keen about the double lines of copyright information, one above the other; I think the same amount of room allotted to including your fingers on that right hand would have been a better tradeoff.

That is a beautiful lawn across the street behind you! The tree growing there really adds to the tranquility of the shot. And the white window frame adds a nice pull for the eye. It says, "there's a house over here, in the shade." I do like the umbrella lighting on you, the ostensible subject of this photo. I'm not too keen about the double lines of copyright information, one above the other; I think the same amount of room allotted to including your fingers on that right hand would have been a better tradeoff.

copyright is thrown on there when I upload automatically, better be safe than sorry.

Thanks for your comments, btw, how did you know I was using umbrellas? lol

>SNIP>
Thanks for your comments, btw, how did you know I was using umbrellas? lol

I could tell by looking at the specular highlights on the lips, cheeks, and the forehead, as well as the softness of the shadows,as well as the shape of the catchlights. Looks like umbrella lighting...

Added a 2nd picture, let me know.

I want to get into Senior portraits this year, am I on the right track?

Thanks !

any advice on the 2nd image?

Well, I like the overall composition and it would work well for senior shots, but here's what I see:

-Shadow of your hand on the tree is a little distracting, not too much, just a little.
-I'd still like to see your backgrounds with a longer exposure/brighter.
-Looks like you got some flare back at the lens from the light source(?) Kinda puts a haze on the right hand side of the shot.

Just some thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em sir....

~Tom

The position of your arm on the tree is akward. I don't know if it's just because of the fingers but the lack them doesn't help.

Well, I like the overall composition and it would work well for senior shots, but here's what I see:

-Shadow of your hand on the tree is a little distracting, not too much, just a little.
-I'd still like to see your backgrounds with a longer exposure/brighter.
-Looks like you got some flare back at the lens from the light source(?) Kinda puts a haze on the right hand side of the shot.

Just some thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em sir....

~Tom
Thanks for your comments, I was just trying a different poses. Im still learning how to do portraits

So am I, dude.

I'm just passing on what people have told me about my photos to help make sure the information keeps moving on and helping someone else. To me, the key is to make sure each time I shoot, I take care of whatever mistakes I made the last time, according to my critics. If I don't then I'm just going to get the same feedback over and over (see all posts started by er111a and you'll see what I mean).

~Tom

Most reactions

New Topics

Back