Self portrait for critique

JayPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just starting to practice with "studio" lighting by having set up some regular house lights against a sheet hanging from a wall. I know it must be far from perfect, but i just want to get the principles of three point lighting and such.

Might be a little blurry because of the low light and the difficulty of self-focusing (I'm using a dummy but it's still hard :p)

Anyways, what do you think?
63104952.jpg

tie a string to your cam, tripod or whatever, and put your nose to it, focus on that distance. . .

this is underexposed and the light appears completely even. try this outside at night ,based on the catchlight(reflection) in your glasses i'd say the white walls in that room are whats killing your light setup. if your walls were black they wouldn't reflect all that light.

I'm using a dummy but it's still hard

Kinda hard on yourself aren't ya? :mrgreen: (kiddin')

Ya the string thing works great. Sheets, not so good, find something heavier if you can, and not wrinkled. ;) If it's got a texture/pattern don't stand so close to it.

It definitely is underexposed and I'd say you need some separation from the background, like JE Kay said. Stand up away from the background some, then maybe also you'll be more in focus and the background would be more blurred. Also try bumping up your ISO, it might help with the blurryness. Not too much, but a little bit.

Hmm, aside from that I'm out because I suck at self-portraits unless it's in a mirror. lol

Thanks for the help so far! The room does have white walls, but the ones on the sides of the shooting area are mostly covered by furniture. However, there is a closet painted in white, non-opaque paint to the left of the shot. Would covering it help at all?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back