self Portrait (help)

wlbphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok how would you get great focus of your self if your tring to do a self portrait. I tried to do one today it looked good on the camera, but when i loaded it to my computer it wasnt as focused as i though it was. sorry if its a noob question.

It's not particularly easy to do. It helps to set your aperture to a 'medium' size like f/8 and use a stand-in like a broom. Try to get your eyes as close to the plane as possible where the stand-in was.

My remote also does autofocus, however, I was having trouble with this working to my satisfaction while trying a self-portrait. I ended up using manual focus with an open book propped up as a stand in. Focused on the text and that ended up working well.

Thanks, Ralph

Here's what I do:

Put something where I intend to be, and focus on that. I usually use a handy light stand, but you could use anything that you can place about where your face will be.

Focus on it, then switch out of autofocus if necessary, to lock your focus down.

Now just take the place of the thing you focused on, and you're good to go.

^^^ Buckster's correct. I like using a light stand because you can set the top knob to where your eye position will be and telescope the top of the stand to where the top of your head will be. When you look through the viewfinder to focus, you will also get a pretty good idea of your framing.

I recently realized that switching my camera to use "closest subject" autofocusing, combined with not-too-shallow depth of field, gives good results for self-portraits. I hadn't thought of it before because I never use that mode for anything else (I'm usually in single-point AF). As long as you have enough light for the AF to work, your remote can use AF, and you are actually the closest subject, it should do the trick.

I have a wilson that I used. Pretty much for the principle buster stated. Its a craft face my son made and then I focus on that.

thanks you all for ur suggestions i did try putting something like taped to the wall pre say.. and it worked but not perfect. im going to try at/around f8 see how its works thanks again

thanks you all for ur suggestions i did try putting something like taped to the wall pre say.. and it worked but not perfect. im going to try at/around f8 see how its works thanks again
Considering you'll probably want to focus on your eyes (general portraiture rule), unless you can get your eyes where the tape is, I can understand why it's not working. ;)

Something taped to the wall is going to be a minimum of about 8"-10" behind where your eyes are.

Something taped to the wall is going to be a minimum of about 8"-10" behind where your eyes are.

Ur very right on that sir. Just though of it .

The shallower the depth of field, the harder it will be to get the focus right but the suggestions you were given would help greatly. Then you just have to keep shooting until you get enough of them with the right focus.

Another way is to use manual focus and pre-set it with a deeper depth of field, then place yourself in the focus area. And of course, it will help if your background is further away if you want it out of focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back