Self portrait- please comment

shorty6049

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, i'm pretty new on here. Heres a self portrait i did today in my dorm room, all ambient light (no flash) , i dunno, just tell me what you think.
withcopyright-1.jpg

The only thing I don't like is how you cut off part of your chin. The selective coloring actually looks alright in this one, since it's confined to your glasses. :thumbup:

another thing witht he chin, was that i was sort of stuck between cutting off more of my head (which looked wierd) or cutting off the chin, and i tried both ways and liked this better, i was actually between the camera and a short dresser, so i couldnt get any farther away from it..

The missing thin is what I saw first, along with the (successful) selective colouring, so it is pretty obvious, though I do see why this came about. Lighting looks ok, very even on your face (window?) ... and you have never considered putting your cam upright?

yea, its a window, and no, i didnt really ever think of putting it upright actually, i started out as wanting to get a photo of just my mouth blowing smoke (from a little fogger fountain thingy that i have "ultrasonic humidifier") but i couldnt really get it to show up well, so i ended up just trying to take photos of my head against the dark background, thanks for your comments so far though, they're really helpful!

so, ok, what do you think, heres a different one I took earlier. better or worse?

self2.jpg

p.s.- i dont know how i feel about the colored in eyes...

Is there colour in both your eyes and the glasses then?
For I see only one eye in colour, maybe the other is too much in the shadow to show much colour, but the obviously ONE eye in colour is a bit ... hm... what would be the word... unbalanced or so?

I think I really do prefer to see you with your chin in the frame, and this is quite a seductive look you have adopted, eh? :sexywink: :biggrin:

haha, well.. i wasnt really going for seductive but.... to answer your question, both eyes were colored, but only one of them really showed up because of the shadows i believe, also the glasses are colored, and they dont really show up well either, because of the shadows and the tone of the green that they are

Very nice, although I dislike 90 percent of SC :) Would like it a lot in B/w though! Nice composition though. Would have maybe liked to see a BIT more of the chin.

yea, i would have gotten more of my head in, but like i said, i was pretty limited for space. I dont really care much for selective coloring either actually, (ususally ends up makign things look kind of fake or something) but i just tried it out on this one just to see how it would look

honestly i didnt even start out trying to do a self portrait, and i only posted these because they came out better than i expected... why do you feel i used the wrong lens? not wide enough? i used a 50mm f/1.7 lens for both photos by the way. I think it was probably somewhere in the 4.5 range for the photos though because i was having focusing issues

Note the lens glare in your left eye and the 'T' shadow from the lens frame in your right eye.
If you were to do this again, take second pic, exactly same pose but no glasses and move the right eye into the pic with glasses.

Part of photography is 'seeing' everything that's there. I tried removing the glare and the shadow.

self2noglarerx7.jpg

i'll try and remember to do that next time, thanks for your input!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back