Self Portrait - popular narrative?

Au Pair Tanja

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everybody.

I´m a photography beginner and I´m taking a film-photography class (black and white). We have to take self portraits and we got some requirements. One of those is "Recreate a popular narrative of ANY kind." I really don´t know what that means. I may not be in the photo but it has to represent me. And it need to be an panning or stop motion photo or with an negative damage.
Can someone help me?

Thanks,
Tanja

Yes, but she said I have to find out by myself.

How about doing some photos about the "bathroom mirror selfie" narrarative? You know, the idea that today's modern person is frequently doing endless bathroom mirror selfies?

Or how about the "glued to the TV set and watching TV in my pajamas while eating pizza" narrative?

Or how about the the "eating dinner alone out of a carton of Chinese takeout" narrative?

Those are good ideas. But how can narratives like this represent me? Do I think too complicated?
Do you know a homepage with photos like this? Maybe I´m getting own ideas, when I see others.
Oh, and the next problem is, I may not be in the photo. How can I do a narrative without me? :/

Last edited:
Those are good ideas. But how can narratives like this represent me? Do I think too complicated?
Do you know a homepage with photos like this? Maybe I´m getting own ideas, when I see others.
Oh, and the next problem is, I may not be in the photo. How can I do a narrative without me? :/
Welcome!

You gather some items that represent the narrative. If you put your hair up, then the brush and mirror, for instance. If you love ice cream (sorry, the U.S. term) then you show the ice cream and a bowl and a spoon, like that.

Perhaps something like this: I was a background investigator, working on a geography degree in order to be a cartographer (map maker).

Okay. Now I unterstand what that means. Thanks. But I have to recreate a popular narrative. That means I have to find one and to do it new? And it needs to represent me?

Look through the advertisements in magazines that you read. Ads will be targeted to people that that read a genre of magazine (fashion, sports, automotive, etc.) You may find something that you can identify with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back